Unable to communicate with login server. Shaw ema

CH55
Grasshopper

i can pick up e mail on i pad but not on desktop

Labels (1)
64 Replies

-- what E-mail program are you using on your iPad, and wh...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@CH55 -- what E-mail program are you using on your iPad, and what E-mail program are you using on your desktop?  Can you use the Shaw WebMail web-site on either device?

0 Kudos

I can’t access Shaw webmail on my iPhone. Unable to commu...

Liz3
Grasshopper

I can’t access Shaw webmail on my iPhone. Unable to communicate with login server.

0 Kudos

-- ironically, this discussion thread started with a repo...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Liz3 -- ironically, this discussion thread started with a report that Shaw WebMail worked "only" on an Apple device.  Now, you are reporting the opposite condition.

When you enter your Shaw E-mail ID and password onto the WebMail page, that server tries to communicate with Shaw's "authentication" server, to validate your credentials.  If either of these servers are "too-slow" to respond, or is non-responsive, the result is the "unable" error-message.

For me, a second click/tap on "Sign On" is sufficient for Shaw's WebMail server to get an "OK" from Shaw's authentication server.

You are not alone -- there are many threads in this forum regarding the "unable to communicate" message.

What web-browser are you using on your iPhone? Safari? Have you installed Microsoft Edge? Which iPhone? What version of IOS (the operating system)? Fully updated? Does powering-off/powering-on your iPhone make a difference?

0 Kudos

I have the same problem with the "unable to communicate"...

john_nicholson
Grasshopper

I have the same problem with the "unable to communicate" message. It started a few months ago on my laptop while I was in Hawaii, now that I'm back, I have the same issue with my desktop. I have Windows 11 and use Edge on both. My iPad with Safari works fine. What could cause this?

0 Kudos

--  What could cause this? After you enter your Shaw ID a...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@john_nicholson --  What could cause this?

After you enter your Shaw ID and password onto the Shaw WebMail server, those details are sent to Shaw's "authentication" server, to validate the details, or to report "incorrect password".

If Shaw's authentication server does not respond, or responds too slowly, then the WebMail server reports "unable to communicate".

For me, a second "click" on the "Sign In" button is always successful, after any occasion where I get the "unable" message.

You are not alone. There are many threads in this discussion forum about this error-message.

I found the multiple clicks on "Sign In" didn't work as t...

john_nicholson
Grasshopper

I found the multiple clicks on "Sign In" didn't work as the "sign in" button was greyed out., I checked my updates and found I had several optional updates outstanding including a Windows 11 cumulative update, and a BIOS update. I have installed these and my desktop computer is now running faster and webmail seems to sign in as before. I have also updated my laptop and checked after the Windows cumulative update, but there was still a login problem. I then did an optional firmware update, and it is better but I am still getting the "can't connect to server" message. I suspect the problem has to do with something in the Shaw/Windows system and will continue to try to sort this out. I recommend others with this issue check your updates to make sure optional updates are installed. My system was originally Windows 10 on both computers, updated to Windows 11. I would be interested in knowing if other users are experiencing the problem with systems having Windows 11 as original equipment. 

-- I suspect the problem has to do with something in the...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@john_nicholson -- I suspect the problem has to do with something in the Shaw/Windows system ...

I agree that it has to be something. 🙂

I wonder if you "delete cookies", will that help?

What web-browser are you using? Opera? Safari? Edge? Firefox? Chrome? other?

If you open an "InPrivate" browser window, does that help?

0 Kudos

I am using Edge on both desktop and laptop, and Safari on...

john_nicholson
Grasshopper

I am using Edge on both desktop and laptop, and Safari on iPhone and iPad. I don't have a problem on Safari, but when I had a problem communicating with server while I was using my laptop in Hawaii, I downloaded Firefox. This helped. As reported in my last post doing the updates on my desktop helped, but then today, the problem came back. I cleared cookies and it logged in right away. I haven't tried a private window, but if it happens again I will try that. So from this action it must be related to cookies and Edge browser.

0 Kudos

--  from this action it must be related to cookies and Ed...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@john_nicholson --  from this action it must be related to cookies and Edge browser

I disagree. I think that there either is:

1. too much "lag" between the WebMail server and the Authentication server, causing the WebMail server to report "unable to connect";
  2. either/both of those two servers are too busy to complete the verification.

It happens to me when NOT using Microsoft Edge.

Sometimes, while viewing the WebMail's "sign-in" page, pressing the "F5" key on my keyboard, after receiving the error-message, allows me to sign-in on my 2nd attempt.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help