Upgraded to Internet 300 and Total TV

wyomaf
Grasshopper

We recently upgraded to Internet 300 and Total TV.  I was given a Hitron cgnm-2250 modem/router (which I like) instead of the BlueCurve gateway to replace the my old Motorola modem to which I have my third party router connected with port forwarding set up for my wired cameras (to allow remote access.). Could I designate one of the new Hitron private ports to pass-through and connect to the up-link port of my third party router and still use the Hitron's wifi to connect to feed my TV streaming boxes (also from Shaw). I understand that to do this I would need a second public address (that I hear is free) from Shaw which would be issued and passed through to the third party router. Is this correct?  If so, please give me the procedure to acquire the second address, and any other advice on setup would be appreciated.

Labels (1)
3 Replies

> please give me the procedure to acquire the second addr...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> please give me the procedure to acquire the second address

That cannot be done through this forum; you'll need to telephone Shaw, to add this service.

After doing so, the Hitron will obtain one "public" IP-address from Shaw, and will supply one Ethernet port, plus up to 250 "wireless" connections to your "streaming" devices. The second "public" IP-address will transparently "pass-through" the Hitron to the other Ethernet port, to give a "public" IP-address to your third-party router.

After getting the second IP-address, and re-cabling as necessary, I suggest that you power-off every device, and then power-on each one, in order:

1. Hitron
  2. third-party router
  3. streaming TVs
  4. wired computer(s)
  5. wireless devices

waiting, of course, after each "power-on", for the device to fully restart and obtain its own IP-address, before powering-on the next device.

0 Kudos

Thx mdk, but the Hitron has 4 Ethernet ports. You seem to...

wyomaf
Grasshopper

Thx mdk, but the Hitron has 4 Ethernet ports. You seem to imply 2 Ethernet ports (total) in your answer and you are perhaps referring to the BlueCurve gateway? The Hitron allows you to designate 1 of the 4 ports as "pass-through" allowing the remaining 3 Ethernet ports along with the "250 wireless" to be connected to the "streaming" devices. Is that correct?

Additionally, does the Hitron and my third-party router need different addresses, currently both at 192.168.0.1, I believe?  

0 Kudos

With IP Passthrough enabled on your Hitron modem the port...

shaw-valerie

@wyomaf With IP Passthrough enabled on your Hitron modem the port designated for passthrough would assign a public IP to the device connected to it (in this case that is where you'd connect your own router) and devices connected to the other ethernet ports on the Hitron would assign an internal IP address to your devices.

The 192.168.0.1 address is used to access the modem configuration on your router and the Hitron modem, and that configuration is only accessible when you're connected to that device, so it's not a concern for both to be the same. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help