Why is email blocked by Shaw

whomever
Grasshopper

ISSUE: Shaw has quietly and covertly suggested we forward spam to them @reportspam@shaw.ca but that just comes back with a error.

PREAMBLE: (or jump down to MEAT of the ISSUE below)
Now that Shaw has customers doing Shaw's job for them by reporting spam to Shaw that in turn does not accept it, what are we supposed to do with it? I have a suggestion, but I'd get banned.

I constantly receive Phish from Shaw or claiming to be Shaw, poorly written, obvious scams trying to gather my logins. Any child could see what it is. But Shaws disabled anti-spam let's it through.

Shaw use to use RBLs and had a great system of letting us decide what to do with suspected spam. That has been removed as well. Last I looked, we are to forward spam to reportspam@shaw.ca so they can build their own filters. What do we do when reportspam refuses our emails?

Let's not go to every customer creating their own filters. That idea is ludicrous.

THE MEAT of the ISSUE:
The spam reads:

-------- Forwarded Message --------

Subject:Date:From:

Update Noe
Wed, 23 Jun 2021 15:02:12 -0400
Service <fhythht@pirddines.com>

Shaw

Dear user.

Thanks For Using Shaw.

We Have Put Your Account On Hold

Until You Complete A Validation Process In Order To Verify Your Billing And

Payment Details.

Your Last Payment Was Not Authorized

Update your billing information >>

When forwarding to reportspam@shaw.ca, Shaw rejects it. Does Shaw provide online courses in how to interpret Shaw's error codes?

"An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: <########@shaw.ca> message rejected. AUP#SNDR. Please check the message and try again".

Has Shaw decided not to accept Forwards any more. 

Sheesh! And Shaw was once such a great ISP.  

~W~

Yes - I tried it again.
Yes - I checked it. What's to check!
Yes - I tried it again (4 times)
Yes - I contacted Shaw Cares - when will they start?

p.s. I'm impressed that Shaw has upgraded this Forum's GUI to include some decent formatting. Le's hope people don't abuse it. But I'd rather they spent the money on subscribing to RBLs.

Labels (1)
9 Replies

-- we forward spam to them @reportspam@shaw.ca but that j...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@whomever -- we forward spam to them @reportspam@shaw.ca but that just comes back with a error.

It is unfortunate that you did not include the exact text of the error-message.

> But Shaws disabled anti-spam let's [sic] it through.

Actually, the opposite is true. Shaw's mail-processing used to have E-mail headers like:

Received: from mi06-ssvc.dcs.int.inet (LHLO mi06.dcs.int.inet) Thu, 8 Apr 2021 22:11:39  -0600 (MDT)
Received: from smtp-out-so.shaw.ca ([64.59.136.139]) Thu, 08 Apr 2021 22:11:39 -0600
Received: from [192.168.0.30] ([24.68.181.89])  by shaw.ca; Thu, 08 Apr 2021 22:11:39 -0600
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2021 21:11:31 -0700

Back in April 2021, the message from a "private" IP-address (on a home network, so starting with "192.168.0.xxx") to the "public" IP-address of the sender's cable-modem to Shaw's SMTP-server for "outgoing" E-mail (64.59.136.139) and from that server to another server where the E-mail messages for the recipient are stored.

However, today, the E-mail headers look quite different:

Received: from mi04-ssvc.dcs.int.inet (LHLO mi04.dcs.int.inet) Wed, 23 Jun 2021 12:04:41 -0600 (MDT)
Received: from shw-ibgw-4007a.ext.cloudfilter.net (lb7f8hsrpno-dmz.dcs.int.inet [10.0.143.222]) ; Wed, 23 Jun 2021 12:04:41 -0600 (MDT)
Received: from omta002.cacentral1.a.cloudfilter.net ([3.97.99.33]) ; Wed, 23 Jun 2021 18:04:40 +0000
Received: from shw-obgw-4002a.ext.cloudfilter.net ([10.228.9.250]) ; Wed, 23 Jun 2021 18:04:40 +0000
Received: from smtpclient.apple (S0106001ff34021f2.no.shawcable.net [70.66.49.156]) ; Wed, 23 Jun 2021 18:04:40 +0000
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 11:04:38 -0700

namely, from a "public" Shaw IP-address to the "CloudFilter.net" high-volume spam-filtering service, and then back to the same server where the E-mail messages for the recipient are stored. Note that the whole process of forwarding the E-mail from sender to recipient took less than one second. Not "slow" at all !

I presume that "CloudFilter" aggregates information from multiple feeds, to provide a broader consensus of whether a message is "spam", or not.

I also presume that CloudFilter is aware of RBLs (Real-time Block Lists), so that Shaw does NOT use RBLs within their infrastructure. To do so would be redundant, if CloudFilter is using RBLs.

So, it seems that Shaw has addressed the issue of "spam-filtering", despite what you claim.

0 Kudos

--  message rejected. AUP#SNDR. Please check the message...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@whomever --  message rejected. AUP#SNDR. Please check the message and try again

AUP == Appropriate Usage Policy

SNDR ==? Sender

It could be the case that "CloudFilter" (as noted in my previous message) has decided that what you sent is a "spam" message, and so your attempt to send "spam" content has been rejected, even though you tried to send to that "reportspam" ID.

So, maybe, the need to "report spam" to that ID is no longer needed, because Shaw has "out-sourced" spam-filtering to CloudFilter.

0 Kudos

Of course I forwarded the spam to Shaw (reportspam@shaw.c...

whomever
Grasshopper

Of course I forwarded the spam to Shaw (reportspam@shaw.ca) ! THAT is how we told to do it. Are you telling us that Shaw has a new way -again- of dealing with spam? We were told discovered that we are to:

1. Click Forward for the spam.
  2. enter reportspam@shaw.ca as forward-to recipient
  3. click send.

If, as you suggest, Shaw has a foreign server (AKA Cloud) that wrongfully detected I was sending spam, and that email address is blacklisted, just where is the lengthy process available showing us how to get de-listed? That should be available for those that didn't know what the new process is this month!

MDK > "maybe, the need to "report spam" to that ID is no longer needed".

"maybe" is keyword, because 'maybe not' is most likely. I don't see Shaw not telling people to change what Shaw directed us to do without telling us to use another method, or none at all or just get use to spam. Then again, they don't usually tells us when they cut services.

MDK > "

I DID include it. This is why people get irritated. We include lots of info, and are told it's too much, we cut back and told it's not enough. WE include what is required, and it's not being read.

ERROR MESSAGE stated:

"An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: <########@shaw.ca> message rejected. AUP#SNDR. Please check the message and try again".

You can test the quote by reading OP. You must have seen the original error message because you used it in your reply. 

I was too quick to applaud the updated GUI for this Forum tool. It says I have two editors open and when I Clicked "Reply" it wiped it out and wasted my time re-doing this. Still using customers to beta test I see. This is 2nd attempt - and I find more bugs in the GUI -again-, still.

I don't see Shaw changing from using reportspam@shaw.ca to overseas outsourcing mid-stream in middle of the day. I can see changes happening without telling anyone, but not midstream.

As for this QUI, I was too quick to previously applaud the upgrades. Now, when clicking "REPLY" which was already clicked to open a reply GUI, there is a line that say there is illegal HTML, to remove the HTML and try again. If there is illegal HTML,. then Shaw should remove it because it's not us putting it in. If Bold or underline is not allowed, whatever it is the Gui is imagining, remove the option so we're are not fixing it - some people won't know how. Reply should b e to open a Reply Gui. Send should be used to Send the Reply, not Reply/Reply. I gather they don't let the Devs out much.

~w~

0 Kudos

-- If, as you suggest, Shaw has a foreign server (AKA Clo...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@whomever -- If, as you suggest, Shaw has a foreign server (AKA Cloud) that wrongfully detected I was sending spam, and that email address is blacklisted, just where is the lengthy process available showing us how to get de-listed? That should be available for those that didn't know what the new process is this month!

The CloudFilter network uses AMAZON cloud-servers.

Wrongfully? By including the "spam" message in your E-mail to "reportspam", you were sending "spam".

Where is the process? Good question. I cannot speak for Shaw nor for CloudFilter.

Foreign? Do you mean that the AMAZON servers are located outside of BC? of Alberta? of Canada?  Does that make a difference?

> overseas outsourcing mid-stream in middle of the day

The Email headers showed one message from early April, and another from yesterday (June 23).  I have not checked other E-mail messages within that window of time to see when Shaw upgraded their spam-filtering, by outsourcing it.

> If there is illegal HTML,. then Shaw should remove it because it's not us putting it in.

The software does receive the illegal HTML.

But, if you are copying-and-pasting from Microsoft Word (or other similar software that can also do bold/italics/fonts), you need to use "paste-as-text", so that only your words are pasted-in.  Or, use NOTEPAD to draft your comment, because it does not do "rich-text-formatting".

As for your suggestion to use the word "send" instead of the word "reply", please scroll-down this page, and click the "Your Voice" hyperlink, to reply/send/forward that suggestion to Shaw.

0 Kudos

mdk >  "The software does receive the illegal HTML. But,...

whomever
Grasshopper

mdk > 

"The software does receive the illegal HTML.

But, if you are copying-and-pasting from Microsoft Word (or other similar software that can also do bold/italics/fonts), you need to use "paste-as-text", so that only your words are pasted-in.  Or, use NOTEPAD to draft your comment, because it does not do "rich-text-formatting".

What is so hard about believing that some visitors here know how to use a simple Qui? 

1. IF as you implied, the "software" does receive the illegal HTML, it's NOT getting it from me. I do not copy & paste from any WP and if I copy & paste, it's from a acsii editor and I paste as "plain text".  For once, do take a look and not immediately blame the customer. You might find it enlightening.

mdk > Wrongfully? By including the "spam" message in your E-mail to "reportspam", you were sending "spam".

That is what we were told to do. To forward spam to reportspam@shaw.ca. Are you now telling me NOT to send spam to reportspam@shaw.ca because they'll see it as spam and I'll get that error you said I didn't provide but did?

Rewply/Reply/Reply - It's not a suggestion, it's a common known way of doing things right. Most normal and well run forums (community) use Reply to open a Reply Gui, and then Send or Post to send or post the reply. Geeze - it's too late for Shaw to change the Internet that's Wordpress job now! 

Since you didn't answer my question as to what we are supposed to do with spam now, I'll send snail mail to Calgary and ask the higher monarchy there.

mdk > The CloudFilter network uses AMAZON cloud-servers.

Well that explains everything. Amazon, next to google, is where most spam IPs originate. Google it. or, you could search the Internet. I take it then that we no longer send anything to reportspam@shaw.ca???? Just let our personal data be exploited and pimped out by Amazon.

As for mdk > Do you mean that the AMAZON servers are located outside of BC? of Alberta? of Canada?  Does that make a difference?

I think you know the answer to your own question. But, for others, Yes, it makes a difference. Right now, I am forced to allow more than 99 peeping stalkers, allow Shaw to report to dozens of online social medias including, but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit, and 4 others that I arrived here, for how long, from what place I arrived from, my location, devices used, and allow some to peep my History (Not that I keep any), view my thumbnail cache, report my devices GPU/APU/MoBo/NIC and CPU M.A.C. ID's. If I took back my right to privacy, and blocked the SMIRCers, I would have no access to support.shaw.ca And now my emails are being scanned by the king of SMIRCers!

Well mdk - I do apologize for wasting both our times. It seems you are more anxious to argue rather than aide. So I will take my issues to a professional Forum and ask there. As for what to do with Spam, I'll ask Calgary since it is from there that they keep making these surreptitious changes.

have a nice day

~w~

0 Kudos

-- report my devices GPU/APU/MoBo/NIC and CPU M.A.C. ID's...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@whomever -- report my devices GPU/APU/MoBo/NIC and CPU M.A.C. ID's.

I am not "arguing", I am "telling" you, to try to aid you:

• The GPU does not have a MAC-address.
  • The APU does not have a MAC-address.
  • The motherboard does not have a MAC-address.
  • The GPU does not have a MAC-address.
  • The NIC (add-on card or integrated on the motherboard or internal WiFi adapter card) does have a MAC-address.
  • Shaw (and Telus and TV networks) make "surreptitious" changes.
  • I have no authority to speak for Shaw.
  • I have no authority to speak for CloudFilter.

>  I'll send snail mail to Calgary and ask the higher monarchy there.

Correct. If you want something to get done, ask a woman.  🙂

> IF as you implied, the "software" does receive the illegal HTML, it's NOT getting it from me.

Sorry. My typo -- I meant "remove", not "receive". But, if you copy from Microsoft Word (or something similar), you need to "paste special" or "paste text only", to avoid injecting HTML that you cannot see.

0 Kudos

MDK > I am not "arguing", I am "telling" you, to try to a...

whomever
Grasshopper

MDK > I am not "arguing", I am "telling" you, to try to aid you:

That's a viewpoint I never thought I'd see. Let's focus shall we on the Catch-22 Shaw has tossed up. Anything else is just being covered-up with finger pointing at end user.

Moving forward (I hope) Just what are we supposed to do with spam now since reporting it now only generates the error that it was refused because it contained spam (DUH!) AFTER clicking send. Put simply, Shaw is telling us to forward spam so it will be rejected because it contains spam. 

We are/were supposed to "forward spam to reportspam@shaw.ca" but Shaw refuses it now because it contains spam - just how much sense does Shaw look with this?

I recently created a new Shaw email address. And within a day, it receives the generic well-known and hated "Your Package is in transit" DHL fraudulent email. I checked and that fantastic irresponsible 3rd party to Shaw that you promoted lets that garbage through. (I don't need a lesson how addresses are scooped, or donated by irritated people).

Received: from shw-ibgw-4008a.ext.cloudfilter.net) let it through. 

I did try a few other forums and only get jibs and jabs at Shaw instead of answers. So if Shaw won't explain how we are to send spam to reportspam@shaw.ca without it being rejected due to it containing spam (DUH and more DUH!), and I  can't put it where I'd like - then what? I gather going back to what once worked makes sense so we won't ever see that happening. 

If you want to help, it is greatly appreciated with the understanding that you volunteer your time which makes my appreciation all the stronger and more heart-felt . If you want to nit-pick, belittle, or bridge a opinion as being factual,  I don't have the time and I don't want you wasting your time doing so.

~w~

p.s. I use the exact same method of forwarding spam to reportspam@shaw.ca as I did a very short while ago that successfully sent the Forward. Don't know, but assume, it went into File 13. Now it's blocks them altogether because they contain spam, which it is supposed to do for (insert favourite deity here) sake!

0 Kudos

-- I recently created a new Shaw email address. And withi...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@whomever -- I recently created a new Shaw email address. And within a day, it receives the generic well-known and hated "Your Package is in transit" DHL fraudulent email. 

S*it happens. A friend (first initial "L", last name "Grant") was recently hired by a local post-secondary institution. The friend chose "lgrant@[institution]" as their E-mail ID. By the next day, there was a deluge of "spam" E-mail. My guess is that spammers had been trying "jgrant" and "kgrant" and "lgrant" and so on, forever and ever.  When "lgrant" became active, the spam messages were accepted & delivered to my friend's brand-new ID. Sigh.

Spammers probably do not "prune" their mailing-lists, when a message "bounces". To them, it is a waste of their time and money. They would rather reply to the victims who respond, to try to profit from the responders.

0 Kudos

shaw will not help with the code AUP#SNDR they tell me it...

robynmct
Grasshopper

shaw will not help with the code AUP#SNDR they tell me it's a mac issue because it can be sent through their online webmail which is the most useless system possible
really fed up with shaw always referring to someone else's problem they cant possibly help 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help