Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who Me Too'd this topic

Personal Server + Dynamic DNS Policy

Not applicable

tl;dr at bottom.

Summary/Context (with research):

So before anything else, yes. I have read the acceptable use policy - specifically the part where it states: "You may not run a server in connection with the Shaw Services nor may you provide network services to others via the Shaw Services. Examples of prohibited servers and services include but are not limited to mail, http, ftp, irc, dhcp servers, and multi-user interactive forums."

My question comes in regard to ambiguity in the above statement as Shaw seems to blanket-ban all servers in the traditional sense where incoming (from the internet) requests eat up bandwidth. But does not state anything about private-use servers or remote connections. Even going so far as to make generic mentions of these types of uses under the security section where it states: "Shaw recommends that any files or services you make available for remote access be password protected."

With that in mind, I would like to set up a personal server which I feel does not violate the agreement (specifically the above 2 portions) due to the max single-client nature of the server (which is comparable bandwidth-wise to using various cloud services from home, and also in line with "nor may you provide network services to others" since it's only me).

Question:

To make the personal server accessible though, I would need to set up a dynamic dns service (no-ip for example) to account for ip lease renewals that may happen while I'm away from home so I don't lose access when I might have an active session. What I can't seem to find is anything regarding dynamic dns in Shaw's terms. What is Shaw's policy on uitlizing a dynamic dns service?

tl;dr:

I'm setting up a home server. What are Shaw's rules on using dynamic dns services?

Tags (2)
Who Me Too'd this topic