Blue Curve missing channels

xileff
Grasshopper

i have a minimal TV paid shaw subscription- all channels show on TV but NOT all show on Blue Curve on my Ipad - I suspect it's some sort of rights issue - all my American stations - eg NBC ABC etc do not show on Bluecurve App

I'm planning to subscribe to TSN for World Cup - will TSN show up on BlueCurve once I have subscribed?

Labels (1)
8 Replies

Yes.

rstra
Grand Master

Yes. 

0 Kudos

Correct. It's a rights issue as to why all of your subscr...

Zeph
Grasshopper

Correct. It's a rights issue as to why all of your subscribed BlueCurve TV channels on your TV do not show up on the BlueCurve TV App at this time.

As for TSN... the answer is Yes, you'll have access to all 5 TSN channels on the BlueCurve TV App. Once subscribed, along with those channels being made available through the BlueCurve TV App, you'll also have access to those channels along with other features while visiting TSN.ca/live

0 Kudos

-- i have a minimal TV paid Shaw subscription- all channe...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@xileff -- i have a minimal TV paid Shaw subscription- all channels show on TV

That is strange.

Did you ever "downgrade" from a larger package of channels to that "minimal" package?  If so, then the "provisioning" of your TV box might still be at the previous level, rather than your current entitlements.

In the past, the "minimal" package of channels did include the Seattle-based TV channels (PBS, ABC, CBS, NBC), if you lived in Victoria/Vancouver, but I think that it is possible that new subscribers to the "minimal" package will not get those non-Canadian channels.

0 Kudos

‘s answer is correct. The reason that the OP is not getti...

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk  @Zeph ‘s answer is correct. The reason that the OP is not getting all their subscribed channels on the app is because of copyright issues. The main US networks are examples of some channels that are not available on the app, but may be on their cable box

0 Kudos

I know this thread is 6 mo this old, but it has nothing t...

safaritech
Grasshopper

I know this thread is 6 mo this old, but it has nothing to do with rights at this time. Shaw is just being lazy about upgrading the mobile app to stream all channels.

Since bluecurve (whether a TV box or app) is now a streamed service via IP protocol, and has been for at least 6 months now, of not a year, then the channels are streaming no matter the situation.

On the TV box, it's using a version of the same app, just tied into a dedicated streaming device. The tablet uses an on demand version of the app.

There is currently zero reason why only the Canadian channels are streamed to the mobile app, but all the channels are streamed to the app on the streaming box.

All advertising indicates it should stream anywhere. Therefore Shaw has been false advertising for a while now.

0 Kudos

No, it is still all about mobile content rights.

rstra
Grand Master

@safaritech  No, it is still all about mobile content rights.

0 Kudos

Actually, no, it's not. I'm a network administrator for a...

safaritech
Grasshopper

Actually, no, it's not. I'm a network administrator for a multi national company today, and started at Shaw more than a decade ago. If they are still hiding behind that BS excuse, it's because 6-12 months ago they already knew they were going to force this sellout to the idiots at Rogers. Why would they waste money and resources revamping systems and contracts when within another year we'll have to start using Roger's crap?

There are no mobile rights, only streaming and rebroadcast rights.

Prior to Shaw having streaming boxes, they only had broadcast receivers, known more commonly as "cable boxes". When this was their broadcast method, yes they had rebroadcast rights for the American channels, but not network streaming rights.

Now that everything is streamed over the IP trunk, they must have network streaming rights. This is why you *must* have internet service in order to use the new streaming boxes. You don't have to have Shaw internet, just fast enough internet to stream the service on the embedded app on the box (yes I've tested this, so don't waste your time refuting it)

The only caveat in these types of streaming rights, is that they can only broadcast to a dedicated service app, and not an aggregate service, nor sell said stream to another service. Since they are only streaming to their own Bluecurve app, whether embedded or not, they could stream to the mobile app within that agreement structure.They simply choose not to. Either that, or they are illegally streaming the channels to the streaming boxes. They can't have it one way and not another where streaming is concerned. Either way, they are lying on one hand and/or being lazy on the other.

In summary, they simply don't care because they are sellouts that got our money and created a monopoly for Rogers in the process. They have no reason to further develop any of their offerings since we will be using Roger's crap offerings soon enough. 

0 Kudos

It is the same for the Rogers Ignite TV app, they haven’t...

rstra
Grand Master

@safaritech  It is the same for the Rogers Ignite TV app, they haven’t negotiated mobile rights with all providers, just rights to in home. Shaw Direct doesn’t stream, and they also don’t provide all channels on the BC app.

US and Canadian over-the-air broadcasters want the cable and satellite companies to pay a fee for carriage, they aren’t going to agree to have their content on the apps without compensation, particularly if providers come up with their own apps to provide over-the-top service.

Yes, technically Shaw could put all the channels on Blue Curve, they just aren’t allowed.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help