Gateway (Arris) Ethernet Connection to TV?

gwenandfraser
Grasshopper

I have the Arris Gateway HDPVR box.  On the back it has 4 Ethernet ports.  I also have a Portal for the TV which has one Ethernet port.

My smart TV connects to my Wifi with no problems however I'm finding quite often I seem to lose connectivity.  I thought a good solution would be to connect my TV directly to either the main Gateway box or to the Portal box via an Ethernet (Cat 6) cable.  It doesn't work.

I'm starting to suspect that the Ethernet ports on the back of these boxes are inactive.  Can anyone confirm?

What alternatives do I have?  Do I need to switch to BlueCurve?

Labels (1)
1 Reply

You are correct, the ethernet ports on your Gateway HDPVR...

shaw-valerie

@gwenandfraser You are correct, the ethernet ports on your Gateway HDPVR and portals are not active. The BlueCurve boxes also would not offer internet passthrough to your TV, though the BlueCurve TV box may offer access to content that you might be using your smart TV for currently, like Netflix, YouTube and Prime Video. 

If you are having difficulty with the smart TV staying connected to your home wifi, that could be caused by wifi interference, or your TV being too far away from the modem. If you have a modem that broadcasts separate 2.4 and 5 GHz networks, which one is your TV connecting to? Do other devices have difficulty accessing wifi when in the same area as that TV? 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help