Ignite TV Guide for Chromecast TV?

nanuuk
Grasshopper

Are there any plans for a downloadable app for Chromecast TV, Apple TV, etc. for Ignite TV viewing on those devices?

This would eliminate the need for Ignite device rentals from Rogers.

I know that some competitors such as Teksavvy and Videotron are moving in this direction and it says to me that Rogers could avoid the investment in tv player devices and allow the conumer to use the device of their choice.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Rogers (Shaw) has Ignite TV on FireTV and the app can cas...

rstra
Grand Master

@nanuuk  Rogers (Shaw) has Ignite TV on FireTV and the app can cast to Chromecast and Airplay. Unfortunately, not all channels are available and you can’t set recordings, you can only watch recordings. Hopefully they come up with a full service app on FireTV, I wouldn’t bother with boxes.

0 Kudos

Thanks you. I was aware that you could cast to the Chrome...

nanuuk
Grasshopper

Thanks you. I was aware that you could cast to the Chromecast, but it just isn;t the same without a voice activated remote that the 2nd gen has.

Many new smart Tv's are also starting to embed Chromecast TV into their sets.

Thank you for your quick reply. I was hoping to avoid changing out my Gateway and Arris Portal and just used my Chromecast Devices.

0 Kudos

Same. I could just use FireTV if it had all the features....

rstra
Grand Master

@nanuuk  Same. I could just use FireTV if it had all the features. My XG1 is getting phased out too, I really don’t want to go wireless, I have heard bad things. 

I think the Rogers long term plan is wirleless hardware and 5G, no more cable to the home, no more technicians.

0 Kudos

wrote:  I was hoping to avoid changing out my Gateway and...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@nanuuk wrote:  I was hoping to avoid changing out my Gateway and Arris Portal

Last year, Shaw/Rogers "retired" those boxes in a few markets (Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton).

One post in this forum indicates that Winnipeg is next. 

So, watch all your recordings, before you get "upgraded", and lose access to them.

0 Kudos

Yes we are aware that we will lose all our recordings. A...

nanuuk
Grasshopper

Yes we are aware that we will lose all our recordings. A plus, if true, is that we wouldn't have to change our grandfathered plans of Popular TV and Films that have a number of Standard Definition channels. With the new Ignite player we would then receive all channels in High Definition.

I've also noted that Rogers is offering "Ignite Streaming" with a device that mirrors Google (Chromecast) Tv, Apple TV, etc. functionality. Again I have to wonder why they don't offer a Rogers Channel guide that works with this device. They could drastically reduce their purchases of 'cable' boxes and shift customers to the new format.

We are in Calgary and so far have heard nothing from Rogers. I expect that when our current plan is up for renewal we will be told that our old box, but not modem, is being retired.

The modem is not to the Wifi 6 standard, but I have purchased a mesh system that takes the bandwidth and converts it to the Wifi 6 standard. No dead spots in the house any longer.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help