Issue with Gateway (Arris) List of Recordings

gdk
Grasshopper

With the latest firmware upgrade to our Gateway (Arris), the list of PVR Recordings is messed up. The currently selected recording is nice and bright and easily readable. But all the UNSELECTED ones are very DIM and difficult to read. This was never like this until this week. It should be exactly like the guide. The UNSELECTED ones are NOT dim.

Anyhow. Please fix this ASAP. It's very annoying and difficult to read your list of recordings. It's not just one set top box, it's all of ours after the upgrade.

Just as an aside, whoever you have doing maintenance f/w on this old Arris PVR is sure introducing lots of bugs over the past year or so. It crashes and reboots way more often then it used to. And some of the new "features" they are adding are questionable at best.

Labels (1)
3 Replies

I agree.  I assume that the purpose of having the list di...

withheld
Grasshopper

I agree.  I assume that the purpose of having the list dimmed is so that the the currently selected recording can be indicated by making it brighter than the rest.  There is the blue bar and other ways (position on screen) to tell which item you have selected, so this dimming and highlighting the currently selected one by making it brighter is unnecessary.  As gdk indicates, the guide does not do this, and you can easily tell which item is selected there.

I totally agree with both comments here. I see no reason...

burger2go
Grasshopper

I totally agree with both comments here. I see no reason why this change was made. I no longer am able to read entries other than the current one which is lit up while all others are greyed out. The way it was before this change was fine and had been working like that for at least 5 years, so why change it now. This is something typical of some developer type who probably thought it was a good idea to mimic the way other software works, but the rub is greyed out means not available so why do this? For people with failing eyesight, this change is unacceptable. I have written to Shaw feedback about this and their response boils down to tough, live with it, we cant go back. Really??? the lame reason they gave me was that lots of users wanted the current line to stand out so they knew which one is current. Lots of users??? they certainly didn't poll their users else they would probably told all is fine, leave it as is. I have suggested for these lots of users that they could have changed the color of the font on the current one if a differentiation was needed instead of dimming everything else out so no one with failing eyesight can read it. Very poor judgement call on their part. If enough people complain about this, they MIGHT consider putting it back they way it was.

I am so tired of Shaw making changes that are detrimental to their viewing customers. They say "we want to provide the best customer experience possible" yet they do stupid things like this without considering the effect on their entire customer base. Having been in IT for over 40 tears, this type of "improvement"---not would never have been made without exploring the effect on all users. I realize that they cannot ask everyone, but surely a focus group that is made up of people from all age groups could have ben consulted. At the very least, when implementing this type of change which could have adverse effects on their customers, they should provide the option in settings to choose the changed version or the previous version: e.g. setting: listing entries: choice of : dim all non current entries or keep all entries at same level of illumination. A simple thing to do - I know as I was a developer at one time.

This change along with the changes they made to the guide wiping out the solid colors on the different programming a couple years back and replacing the solid colors with a super thin line under or is it over the listing was another example of no taking into account people with diminished eye sight.

I urge everyone who reads this thread to chime in and ask for Shaw to return the PVR listings on the Gateway System back to the way it was. This is an unacceptable change

0 Kudos

So no comments from Shaw even.  How sad. Glad they want t...

burger2go
Grasshopper

So no comments from Shaw even.  How sad. Glad they want to offer the best user experience possible.  Pretty bad customer service. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help