Poor CNN Quality - BlueCurve TV (re-focusing effect)

mondoguitar
Grasshopper

Most channels look great on BlueCurve TV, but CNN HD (254) seems to have an issue where it's constantly going blurry then re-focusing on faces?  It's like every 2-3 seconds it sharpens back up again.  Anybody else notice this?

I just switched from a satellite provider two weeks ago, and CNN wasn't doing this when compared side-by-side.  It's been noticeable since I've signed up. 

Overall, very impressed with the new features I'm getting and the quality of other HD channels.  But CNN looks very poor compared to the feed I used to get with my old provider.  Just hoping to bring it to attention so maybe it can be improved.  Thanks.

Labels (1)
4 Replies

Given that 2/3 of the CNN image is "stationary", most of...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Given that 2/3 of the CNN image is "stationary", most of the time, but with faces that move, your TV's electronics only need to update 1/3 of the screen.  So, if you have a "signal-strength" issue, the updated imagery for the faces may not be received by your TV.

I suggest that you telephone Shaw, and make official content with Shaw (rather than just "bringing it to attention" on this forum), and get a technician to remotely-connect to your BlueCurve, and to look at the signal-strength, and other things, to see if you really have a "signal-strength" problem.

0 Kudos

It doesn’t concern me enough to wait on hold with Shaw. J...

mondoguitar
Grasshopper

It doesn’t concern me enough to wait on hold with Shaw. Just throwing it out there. I’ve seen it on my family’s receivers too. Mildly annoying, that’s all.

0 Kudos

It's not just you.  I noticed the exact same thing on CNN...

yup
Grasshopper

It's not just you.  I noticed the exact same thing on CNN a couple weeks ago. I thought for sure it was some wonky processing on my new TV.  It was driving me nuts. I finally checked another TV and it was absolutely there too.  It comes and goes somewhat dependent on the on screen content.  I can see it happening as I type this.  You can see details and wrinkles in peoples faces, then suddenly that detail will disappear and be smoothed over for a few seconds then come back.  Very distracting to view on a 4k TV.

Shaw will continue to lose TV customers until they actually address these issues.  They likely won't take any action.  Not long ago they had multiple reports of an audio issue specific to a certain Fox HD channel.  It lasted for well over a year before corrected.  

I've spent more of my time writing this reply than I expect them to spend looking into this issue.  I don't blame you for not calling to make an official complaint. 

Thanks for the reply.  All the channels I watch most... S...

mondoguitar
Grasshopper

Thanks for the reply.  All the channels I watch most... SN, TSN, Networks, Variety, they all seem extremely crisp.  But something seems off with CNN. There’s a refresh issue of some sort that happens literally every single second when they show the news desk, especially after changing camera angles.  I don’t watch it all the time, just hard to watch when I do.

Really happy with BlueCurve overall, a big improvement from the satellite system I had. But CNN is off a bit.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help