AnsweredAssumed Answered

Simple remote control for seniors

Question asked by dmc on Nov 9, 2013
Latest reply on Dec 5, 2013 by dmc

Is there a "dumbed down" Shaw remote control available? My mother is 88 and has dementia. She has just moved into a senior's residence with Shaw TV available, and I would like to provide her with a TV, but she needs a remote that has very few functions: TV power, channel up/down, and volume up/down (and maybe guide). The problem with a multi-function remote is that you can press the wrong button (such as TV) causing the desired functions not to work. (If possible, I would like to leave the Shaw cable box always powered on. I realize that both the TV and cable box can be programmed to power on/off together with one click, but that only works if the remote continues to be pointed at the TV/cable box long enough for both signals to be sent. Otherwise, one is powered on and the other isn't, causing confusion for some. Our senior population is growing, and many of them cannot easily figure out what went wrong when the TV remote doesn't work as expected. Our technology is great for most of us, but for many who can remember the old style TV with simple controls on the TV itself, the new technology is simply frustrating.

Outcomes