Welcome to the Shaw Support Community. Join now to follow, share and participate in the conversation with Shaw experts and users like you.

12 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2012 5:22 PM by bigmick RSS

Migrating expander content so it can be viewed with Gateway

perogyfan Shaw Employee
Currently Being Moderated

My husband and I are big TV and Movie buffs.  We currently have a HDPVR and expander and are currently looking at getting a Gateway as we like to watch different shows and recordings while we are in different rooms.  (That keeps the marriage lasting longer.  Twightlight Zone and NHL versus Glee and Big Bang Theory.  LOL).

Right now we have about 500 GB of shows and movies stored on the expander that we don't want to lose.  We  still want to access them if we move to a Gateway device.  We understand from your support content that we would have to reformat the expander before it could be used with the Gateway. This, of course, would cause us to lose our favourite recorded shows.  Does Shaw plan to develop a solution, in the next year, for migrating our saved programs?  We don't want to move to a Gateway device until that type of solution is available.

• 1. Re: Migrating expander content so it can be viewed with Gateway

Great suggestion perogyfan!

I agree that would be a pretty awesome feature; however, I'm not sure we would see a feature like this any time soon.  I don't think the hold back would be Shaw, but rather copyright laws.  While I am no expert on copyright laws, I can't see Shaw being allowed to remove the encyrption to allow the recordings to be viewed on a device other than the one it was recorded on.  This could potentially be misused with people recording shows on their expander and then sharing them around to their friends who might not be subscribed to those channels or don't have access to those movies.

Those are just my feelings on it.  Again, I think it would be super awesome and would make changing hardware a lot easier to keep the stuff you have saved.  Perhaps the moderators can elaborate further on this subject.

• 2. Re: Migrating expander content so it can be viewed with Gateway
    perogyfan Shaw Employee

Thanks, Dub.  Hadn't thought about the copyright laws.  Makes sense.  Guess we'll have to ponder how badly we want to keep those shows.  Thanks for the speedy reply.

• 3. Re: Migrating expander content so it can be viewed with Gateway
    [shaw]ali Moderator (Shaw Employee)

Just to add to what Dub said above, and offer up a suggestion perhaps:

If you have for example say 3 TV's, you could keep your existing HDPVR in place on 1 Television and switch your other 2 remaining TV's to the Shaw Gateway system. Shaw has designed the Gateway to co-exist with your existing cable hardware in place so that there is some compatibility there.

This way you can continue to enjoy the recordings on your HDPVR, but your 2 other TV's on the Gateway system will now have the added luxury of a six-tuner HDPVR that can record more shows at once (up to 6) and also then share that content between the remaining two TV sets in different rooms.

The Gateway also supports Expanders up to 6TB in storage capacity, so if you add an expander to it you won't be deleting any content for a while!

Regards

Shaw) Ali
    Community Moderator

• 4. Re: Migrating expander content so it can be viewed with Gateway
    perogyfan Shaw Employee

That's a great answer to our problem, Ali.  Thank you very much.   Cheers, Kathy.

• 5. Re: Migrating expander content so it can be viewed with Gateway
    jetranger Novice

The question was: "Does Shaw plan to develop a solution, in the next year, for migrating our saved programs?" and has not actually been answered.  The 'suggestion' provided and marked as the 'answer' only skirts the issue.  We will need actual answers rather than 'work-arounds' if this 'community' is going to be of any real value.

For me, the above discussion is a perfect example of what NOT to do when it comes to this kind of question.  If the answer needs to be: 'Never', then that is what should be posted.  If the answer is, for instance: 'We are looking at some possible changes to this but have no specific time frame for any potential changes, yet' then that is what should be posted. 

• 6. Re: Migrating expander content so it can be viewed with Gateway
    [shaw]ali Moderator (Shaw Employee)

Hi jetranger,

I think it's a matter of interpretation, my sense is that the customer was asking this question because her underlying need was that she wanted to switch to the Gateway but doesn't want to end up losing her recordings. I think Dub answered the question before of why migrating saved programs wouldn't be possible "anytime soon" due to "copyright laws".

Her response was "Guess we'll have to ponder how badly we want to keep those shows" which indicated to me that she may not have been aware of the fact that she could keep both devices and not end up losing her recordings, so I offered up my information that it's possible to keep both. She then responded "That's a great answer to our problem" and marked the reply as the correct answer (which she has the ability to do so as the author of the thread).

Don't see anything wrong here, but we will strive to be direct in our responses to questions. Thanks for your feedback and I would also encourage you to Come say Hello!

Regards,
    Ali Qazalbash

• 7. Re: Migrating expander content so it can be viewed with Gateway
    jetranger Novice

But Dub's reply is full of uncertainties with statements like 'I'm not sure' and 'I don't think' along with 'Those are just my feelings on it.'  Dub qualified their response as 'not official' with those inclusions and the question went unanswered in an official way.  I know this exact thing is something that is being discussed inside Shaw so why can't we get an update on where that discussion is?  I don't see anything being left to interpretation.  The solution is actually quite simple but implementing it would come with a cost and that is where it is getting held up, I am sure.

While some people, like myself, are able to retain their older equipment and purchase the Gateway as well, many more people can't afford to hang onto the original equipment that is not compatible (even thought we had hoped it would be) with the new system.and will even trade in the older equipment toward components of the new system.  It is in these such cases where the original question is more important and needs an answer.  Of course that answer right now is 'No' but with any luck at all, that could change in the (hopefully not too distant) future.

I trust you see the difference.

• 8. Re: Migrating expander content so it can be viewed with Gateway
    perogyfan Shaw Employee

Interesting conversation Ali and JetRanger.  On the one hand I did get an answer that met my particular needs, also agree with JetRanger that for another customer, it may not have been a complete answer.  On the other hand, that customer could ask a further question to dig deeper or another Shaw employee can jump in and expand the answer.  That's how this community is supposed to work.      A dialogue, rather than just single answers to questions.  Keep up your great passion for serving Shaw's customers.  Kudos!

Cheers, Kathy.

• 9. Re: Migrating expander content so it can be viewed with Gateway
    tyler Shaw Employee GURU

Hopefully we can provide some background here.  The short answer is no, it will not be possible to transfer saved programs from your PVR to Gateway. The key reason is DRM (Digital Rights Management). The entire industry is impacted by DRM, not just Shaw; manufacturers do not allow the movement of content between PVR systems.

We love that the answer on this thread wasn't just "no," and that we took the time to develop a proactive solution to the problem.

Keep up the great work guys!

• 10. Re: Migrating expander content so it can be viewed with Gateway
    kevinds Maven

When I was playing with the Expanders and PVR's a couple years ago,

The Pace PVRs did not encrypt the recordings,  they where ext3 format on the drive,  so Windows typically wouldn't see them, and want to format the drive.

Mount the drive in Linux, the files are there,  can copy them to a computer, MPEG2 player, and play them,  file names were a mess, so it took a little bit to sort them out.  This would allow them to be saved, but only played on a computer-like player.

The Motorola ones, did seem to be encrypted, or a unique format, and were not able to be read.

• 11. Re: Migrating expander content so it can be viewed with Gateway
    gordl Newbie

It would be nice if a type of encryption could be used that would allow you to "transfer" recording to another PVR, which they disables them on the first PVR.

Example: I record a bunch of movies and TV shows on my expander, which is hooked up to my Gateway. A new Gateway comes out, and I decide to buy it. I plug my expander into NewGateway, and a warning dialog informs me that the recordings on the expander will no longer work with OldGateway. I agree, and my recordings are available on my new Gateway box.

The problem with the current system is that it makes it difficult for people to upgrade their boxes (you risk losing everything you have recorded), and everything is lost if there's ever a problem with the box that the expander is tied to.

• 12. Re: Migrating expander content so it can be viewed with Gateway
    bigmick Newbie

Yes, i would also love to get the Gateway, but I'm just not interested if i cannot migrate the content of my existing PVR expander unit to the Gateway.  I'm not planning to violate any DRM rules, I just want to upgrade without losing anything.

I can do that with my iPhone or computer, offsite backup and file syncing is everywhere these days, theres no reason to lose content any more.  Yet Shaw says i can only have my stuff on ONE device, without even the option to MOVE it to another device?  Even the same device would be fine, if i could simply plug it in to the Gateway, which apparently does not work.

Completely ridiculous.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points