bcb

graphics bug - garbled popup window overlaid on top of scrolling list below

Discussion created by bcb on Nov 21, 2013
Latest reply on Nov 23, 2013 by bcb

well I took to the annoying task of reprogramming ALL 15+ or more old series recordings in my 3510, to make sure no problems occuring after the Nov firmware update can be attribued to errors baked-into already-programmed-before-the-update series ... 

and then I came across an ugly bug in how some of the popup window graphics get drawn on-screen.

see the following example screen shot:

Screen Shot 2013-11-21 at 6.41.56 PM.jpg

here's how to reproduce

- go to the series recording list, make sure there are at least 11 or more series programmed, so that the series list will scroll as you go down the list

- start at the top of the list, then use the down arrow key to move down the list

- when you get to the 6th or 7th series from the top, the list will begin to scroll upwards to make more series below visible

- immediately after highlighting the 6th or 7th (or 8th, etc) show, hit the OK button

- if you hit the OK button fast enough, the popup menu will display while the series list underneath finishes scrolling, and then the popup window will be garbled as in the above example

- you can cause the same kind of thing when scrolling up the list

obviously from looking at the example screenshot, you can see that the garbled portion of the popup window "on top" of the series list corresponds to the area of the series list box which would have been scrolling, but should not have caused any visible effect since that area is "underneath" the popup window overlay.  Clearly an error in how the graphics routine is updating the frontmost window but not ignoring obscured areas underneath that should not be redrawn.

this is not the only window-drawing bug I've seen, but it's the easiest one to reproduce. 

Outcomes