Why do Super Channels 1 - 4 have black borders all around the 16:9 picture, and why does BRVHD have black bars at the sides creating distorted images? This is new within the last few weeks.
For sure. Try enabling 4:3 override and see if that helps the situation. Please have a look here for more details: How to change the resolution settings on your Digital Box
Good evening, sclani.
It sounds like either the Zoom or # button on the remote has been pressed and it changed the size of the picture. Please try pressing these buttons on the Shaw remote to see if it makes a difference.
Another option is to change the picture size on the TV. Almost all HD TV's have a button on their remote that will change the size of the picture. This button could be labeled as "Picture Size," "Pic Size," or "P Size." If you don't see any buttons like that on your TV remote, please locate a menu/settings button to see if you can change the picture size within the settings.
Have a great rest of your night!
The zoom button has been used and it did not make any difference or made it worse, indicating that the picture has arrived this way from the broadcaster's supplier.
Thanks for giving that a try. The problem does sound like it's related to the source of the content on said channels, as you've mentioned. SC 1 and 2 HD both appear to be normal right now (16:9 full screen). The standard def versions of those channels though, as well as the SC 3 and 4 apparently have a smaller image than usual, with a black border surrounding it. Bravo HD looks normal right now as well. Can you double check that one please?
I don't have much to suggest for an immediate solution, but I will investigate further on our end to be sure the issue gets attention.
Colin - I just checked the 1st 100 channels in the guide and 80% have the black bars all around the picture (West Kelowna location). The other 20% have the bars at both sides only. The HD channels look good. The program that was on BRVHD was the Mentalist on Saturday at 6PM. That is the HD program that had the bars at the sides and the content was distorted. Am I imagining or is it new to have even the bars at both sides on non-HD channels. For example the Weather Network on Channel 43 never had the bars that it has now?? I recorded "The Hunger Games" onto our PVR twice from 2 different non-HD Super Channels. Both recordings had black borders all around. I then went to the free section of VOD and picked the same movie. Again it was presented with black borders all around. The only was that I could see this movie full-screen was to go back to VOD and pay for the HD version of this movie.
Oh okay, maybe I misunderstood the scope of the problem. Black bars on each side with SD is normal because they are 4:3. If you want them to be stretched, you can enable that, but they may appear slightly distorted. Black bars on the top and bottom of any channel is just due to the formatting of the content as it arrives from the source, nothing can be done about that really short of forcing zoom mode on your TV.
I can give some instruction on how to stretch the SD channels if you'd like. Just let me know which model of cable box you're using please.
I did not realize the scope either as I almost never use other channels. We have a DCX3400M Motorola PVR. I have done a "brain drain" with no change. Again the majority of the SD channels have a black border on all sides. I realize that some movies will have black bars on the top & bottom. What I'm talking about is a dimensionally correct 16:9 picture, but about 50% smaller. The TV zoom does not help as the black border on ALL sides remains and the picture becomes distorted. Options??
Retrieving data ...