AnsweredAssumed Answered

Xbox One HDMI Passthrough not working with Shaw DVR

Question asked by jaggy on Nov 25, 2013
Latest reply on Jan 3, 2014 by duffsurly

I just got an xbox one, and have a shaw DVR (Motorola DCT 6416 III), and they will not work together.

When I plug the DVR into the HDMI passthrough on the Xbox, I get a black screen with occasional green dots and occasional clipped audio.

I have tried each of the DVR's output modes (480i, 480p, 720p, etc).   No luck.

I tried the DVR directly to the TV: works fine.

I suspected I had bad hardware from Microsoft.   I then tried a different HDMI source, a PC.   It works fine. 

Tried the DVR on the xbox again (and again and again), no dice.

I called Microsoft, they asked a bunch of questions and eventually said to call Shaw.   They said some cable providers have their boxes setup to partially block the HDMI output to not be interpreted by another device, and this may be the case here.   (since the xbox pass through works, and the DVR works, but the DVR does not work through the xbox). 

So, I called shaw.  Spoke to a tech, described the above, he said the xbox is unsupported.  I asked him what he was talking about, and walked him through the details again. he put me on hold for about 10 minutes, came back, and said shaw does not support the OneGuide feature.  I described my problem again, restated that I'm not getting a picture, and he told me the pass through is unsupported.   I told him that there's instructions and diagrams for using it on the shaw web site, and he put me on hold again.  That was 20 minutes ago now, I'm still on hold, so I'm posting this here in the hope that someone who knows something might be able to read and comment.

Outcomes