AnsweredAssumed Answered

IPv6 and Gigabit Fibre

Question asked by wlennon on Jun 28, 2012
Latest reply on Feb 8, 2016 by cranium

Hi,

With the current pool of IPv4 addresses being exhausted resulting in IPv4 IP addresses being unavailable to new users, and many websites beginning to offer native IPv6 access through their main sites, it is becoming more and more important for internet providers to allow IPv6 internet access. Although it is not currently a problem for most users, as IPv6 is increasingly deployed, IPv4-only users will face increasing restrictions on the sites and content they can access online.

I notice that Shaw has a /32 pool of IPv6 addresses allocated to itself (2001:4E8::/32), and I was wondering what Shaw's current plans are for implementation of a dual-stack or IPv6 network, and what sort of timeline exists for rollout to residential users.

As well, Shaw announced that they were launching a "Gigabit Fibre" Fibre-To-The-Home (FTTH) network in April 2010, with symmetrical speeds of 1 Gbps offered in areas where the Fibre is deployed. That was 2 years ago. I was wondering what sort of progress has been completed on this rollout, and when (if ever) we can expect to see it in Winnipeg.

Outcomes