AnsweredAssumed Answered

Cisco wireless gateway reboots every 20-30 seconds when device IP is changed

Question asked by antoniofhowe on Dec 27, 2013
Latest reply on Jan 5, 2014 by kevinds

Hello,

Hoping to get some assistance with a small business setup that I am having problems with. The current setup is as follows:

Coax coming into the building goes directly to a three way splitter. One line goes to the Shaw cable modem, one to the Shaw wireless gateway, and one to the Shaw phone device (All Cisco). Ethernet is going from the Shaw wireless gateway to a D-Link hub that has all of the devices plugged into it (Server, NAS, Workstations, and Printers). The server is a Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials which is the domain controller as well as the DHCP/DNS server. The internal network is a 192.168.1.* subnet.

So with the above setup the internal network is working fine. All devices receive their IP's from the Windows server and all are able to communicate with the NAS. Now with the Shaw wireless gateway in factory default mode none of the devices have internet access, this would be because the default subnet of the gateway is 192.168.0.*. Of course any device connecting wirelessly to it has no problem accessing the internet, but in turn they have no internal network access.

So I thought this should be simple, I logged into the Shaw wireless gateway and change the device IP to 192.168.1.1 and turned off the DHCP server. I tested a wired device and was able to ping both the server as well as Google, however, that only lasted about 20-30 seconds and then I no longer had a route to the internet. All my external pings failed. It turns out that as soon as I changed the ip and turned off the DHCP server on the Shaw wireless gateway the device started to essentially reboot itself every 30 seconds to a minute.

So my question is, am I missing a step or have I done everything I need to do and there is a problem with the wireless gateway device itself?

Thanks in advance

Outcomes