I am extremely hard of hearing and have to use closed captioning. Before we had the Arris package all recordings were made with a DVD recorder or TIVO, and watching programs was never an issue, but now I find that all too often the captions are any one or combination of:
- not in sync with the speaker's voice
- leaves out words or phrases (I'm hard of hearing, not deaf)
- an entire program may show only gibberish in place of the captions eg. TTuwUudduiiiiiwhgau
- an entire program may not show any captions at all
And all too often the audio lags the video, and by different amounts for different programs. Most everyone with hearing issues lip-reads to some extent, but this can be quite difficult when the sound does not match lip/face movement, and sometimes it is so frustrating that I will just not even watch.
Yet if I watch on someone else's TV that only has a cable box the captions are fine. So I have a few questions,
- am I the only one that has noticed this?
- will this ever be fixed? (I've had this unit for almost 2 years, and it has always been this way)
- should I be paying full price for a feature that does not always work?
Also, will it ever be possible to get a dedicated CC button? I am the only one in my family that needs this feature, and it can be quite a disruption for others having to watch me go through the whole routine of getting the captions, especially when our TV's alone have been a 1-button procedure in the past.