AnsweredAssumed Answered

Speed of interface to Shaw gear and speed of home networks (WiFi and wired)

Question asked by kritiker on Jul 24, 2012
Latest reply on Jul 24, 2012 by kevinds

With all the talk about the speed of Shaw's Internet packages, I have to wonder whether people have a fast enough home network to take full advantage of the available speed. The entire process is only as fast as the slowest bottleneck. [Of, course, all speeds mentioned are the theoretical maxima. Actual achieved speeds will be less, sometimes much less. and of course, higher bandwidth is more important in the higher (i.e., closer to Shaw) parts of the home network that are shared with other users.]

First, how fast do the Shaw-supplied modems communicate with the home computer/network? If that is just at 10Mb/s (10Base-T (Cat 3 or better cable needed)) then a faster Internet connection is relatively pointless, no?

Second, how fast is the user's home network?

If a user communicates using 802.11b (WiFi) then the maximum bandwidth is 11 Mb/s or if by 10Base-T (wired) then the maximum is 10Mb/s.

WiFi 802.11g (common) and 802.11a (rarely used residentially) operate at (up to) 54 Mb/s. and 802.11n (various incarnations) operates at (up to) 600 Mb/s.

For wired connections, 100Base-T (Cat 5 or better) operates at (up to) 100 Mb/s and 1000Base-T (Cat 5+, Cat 5e, or Cat 6) operates at up to 1000Mb/s.

I'm not sure that there's a question here, except wondering about the speed at which the various  Shaw-supplied modems communicate with the home network.

Outcomes