AnsweredAssumed Answered

Why is the volume fluctuating on some channels?

Question asked by mad_dr on Jan 28, 2014
Latest reply on Jan 29, 2014 by shaw-matt

Hi all - I hope someone might be able to help me. I've tried searching on here for answers but can't seem to find any threads with the same issue as the one I'm experiencing:

I have Knight and Day recorded onto my PVR (from Fox, channel 28) and have noticed that during quiet scenes, the background soundtrack seems to be artificially boosted somehow. So for instance, when the actors are talking quietly, the background sounds (murmuring voices in a cafe, for example) are boosted between the actor's sentences. It's very annoying and leads to a kind of roaring/phaser effect which is distracting.

It's almost as if there's some kind of audio setting for 'night time viewing' whereby it's designed to let me set the volume of the TV to account for the loud parts (explosions, gunshots, etc) at a level that won't wake the neighbours and then it 'cleverly' boosts the quiet bits so that I can hear quiet dialogue.

Anyway - I don't need/want this setting as it ruins the soundtrack.

I'm a new customer to Shaw and have the PVR plugged into my TV along with a Blu-Ray player and console. I used to have it plugged into a Telus PVR. I've never experienced this issue before. I have the same film on DVD and have watched it through the same HDMI port in the TV and it's fine so can definitely confirm that it's not the film soundtrack, or the TV. Unfortunately I don't have a cinema amp to check to see if the same thing happens when the optical port is used.

I can't categorically say that it happens on other channels so I'll keep checking and will update this when I'm more sure.

If anyone can shed any light on this, I'd be really grateful!

Thanks!

Outcomes