AnsweredAssumed Answered

New install with open-mesh network recomendations

Question asked by db7db7 on Feb 5, 2014
Latest reply on Feb 15, 2014 by kevinds

Hey guys,

First of all let me start by stating that I'm currently a Telus Optik customer so I do not have any intimate knowledge of the SHAW hardware. I'm in the process of building a new house and am thinking of switching to SHAW Gateway with 5 portals, phone and internet because they offer 250Mbps download in my community. I'm considering installing an 8 access point "open-mesh" network throughout my 2800sq.ft + 1100 sq.ft finished basement house fed by a Power Over Ethernet switch to make my wifi experience as enjoyable as possible. I'm not an advanced network guy by any means, but at the same time I demand the best user experience possible at a reasonable $. Can any of you guru's explain to me how SHAW would likely tackle this setup? i.e. Do they have a separate modem for the internet, or is the gateway used as a modem/router that can feed the Power Over Ethernet switch that feeds my AP's. Would they need to run 2 lines into the house to accommodate this, or could they just use a splitter once it enters the house. For those wanting more info on this network: http://www.open-mesh.ca//

Thanks in advance for taking the time to share.

Outcomes