AnsweredAssumed Answered

Slow - broadband 50 downloads in the evening only (WPG - South West)?

Question asked by rochbu on Aug 9, 2012
Latest reply on Aug 12, 2012 by rochbu

I recently changed from Extreme Internet to Broadband 50 (Winipeg, southwest side of the city).

The first evening I had it the speeds were similar to Extreme using Shaw speed test and speedtest.net. I leveraged the Chat support channel and they walked me through a few trouble shooting steps (turn off wifi, disconnect all other computers, connect directly, ...). As I could not logon to the admin screen for the device and due to the performance behavior I reset the modem based on guidance from tech support.

After this I could logon to the modem admin screen. Download speeds were between 7.5 Mbps and 20 Mbps with peaks occasionally going past 20 Mbps. They did some 'stuff' at the shaw end as well. No change.

Interestingly, the next morning I tried the shaw speed test and got mid 40Mbps download. I tried a few times and got similiar results. direct connected, over wifi, etc. Something must have happend overnight I thought. Tried again at 6:00 pm and it was good. However around 8:00 pm is I noticed some lag on itunes movie previews over the apple TV. Checking the shaw speedtest again and back to 7Mbps - 20Mbps depending on the run. This morning it was good again.

I plan on testing a couple of times a day and keep stats.

Possible to attribute to congestion only?

What do folks consider a reasonable degradation in performance?

Rob

Outcomes