AnsweredAssumed Answered

What to do with dead DCT3416

Question asked by ianski on Mar 26, 2014
Latest reply on Mar 28, 2014 by ianski

I had to replace my purchased DCT3416 this week. After 4.5 years of service, the guide was all muddled up - channels did not match the content. I called tech support, they attempted to reset the unit over the wire but were unable to 'see' it. I changed the connection to be direct from the wall to the unit (no splitters) but that did not help. Shaw decided to send out a technician.

After the call, I unplugged the unit for 10 minutes and plugged it back in. It came back up, but now the guide showed no information at all, and most of the channels were disabled. The technician showed up the next day and pronounced the unit dead. I went to Future Shop and bought a new one, which works fine, although I objected to the sales people trying to sell me a 3 year warranty which in fact, the new units already come with.

I don't believe the old one is actually dead - I think its a software issue that nobody wanted to fix. So I thought I'd post on this forum and see if any bright people can tell me some way I can fix it myself (I'm a computer tech, so I know my way around  these things) or can tell me how best to open up the unit and at least salvage the (likely perfectly good) hard drive out of it - short of cutting the box open with an angle grinder.

It would be nice to have as a second HD-capable cable box, even if the PVR function didn't work, and after all, I did buy the thing.

Outcomes