AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do I set up a VPN on my Cisco DCP3825?

Question asked by cderksen on Apr 4, 2014
Latest reply on Apr 6, 2014 by connormc

I would like to set up an internet VPN via my router. Currently, I have a Apple Time Capsule connected to the router which provides my wireless network. I have two MacBooks (OS 10.9), several iOS devices, and two wifi printers all connected to my wireless network.

I frequently use my devices at local wifi locations (thank god for ShawOpen), but I would like to ensure that my online activity is secure, so I would like to connect to my router via VPN. However, I am completely new to VPNs, and I do no understand the terminology. I would like to know:

1. How should my network be configured so that I can use a VPN and continue to use my Time Capsule for backups?

2. Now do I set up a VPN? In particular, I need to understand what the following terms mean and what values I should input:

• Local Secure Group
  • Remote Secure Group
  • Remote Secure Gateway
  • Key Management

The router's help files provide definitions of these terms, but I do not understand the definitions.

3. How to I access the VPN remotely once it is set up?

I have spent countless hours reading and trying to figure this stuff out, but I have been unable to find anything written at a simple enough level for me to figure this out. Any assistance or resources would be greatly appreciated.

Untitled.jpg

Outcomes