AnsweredAssumed Answered

HD PVR/Expansion Box connection drops constantly. Must be a fix short of replacement!

Question asked by gilnochie on Apr 10, 2014
Latest reply on Apr 24, 2014 by shaw-colin

I have two DCX3400 HD PVRs each of which is connected to an expansion drive. The core issue is that the PVRs lose the connection to the expansion drives on a regular basis. The only way to fix this is to unplug the PVR from the power source for 10 seconds, or so, and then reconnect it. After a few seconds of bouncing about, the PVR reboots and announces the external drive is now ready for use. I have tried all the other recommended means of disconnecting and reconnecting the various components and I have spent hours on the phone with support trying to troubleshoot online.

The received wisdom from Shaw support is to drain the expansion drives of shows I care about and then call for a in-house visit so the expansion drives can be officially designated as faulty and replaced. There are a few problems with this. First---and foremost---We have a lot of good shows that we never want to delete off the expansion drives such as musical events that are one-offs and get replayed at every party (for example.) Secondly, we never will empty the expansion drives as new shows and series are constantly being added so we can watch them when it suits our schedule. Thirdly, this dis-functionality is completely random and the expansion drives often work perfectly for weeks at a time, only to suddenly drop off the PVR's radar three times in a weekend. Of course when it disconnects itself it doesn't record until the problem is noticed and rectified---which creates some major disappointments, as well..

Due to our circumstances, we have decided to spend a fair portion of our entertainment budget on Shaw products and  have a lot of money (well a lot to me, anyway) invested  in TVs, sound systems, HD PVRs, expansion boxes, etc.etc. I pay a whopping monthly installment to Shaw in a contractual agreement whereby they promise to deliver programmed entertainment in exchange for my hard -arned dollars. I'm keeping my end of the bargain....

Note that I have email dating back over a year trying to get this issue resolved. Rather than us having to sacrifice our collected shows, I would like to see if Shaw can come up with an innovative way to make things right. I have had a lot of good experiences with the technicians at Shaw. so I am hoping they will step up to this opportunity to make a very long-time customer happy again.

Now I believe that if Shaw support put their collective noggins together, they could find a solution to my problem whereby my expansion drives worked the way there supposed to for the money I am paying and I won't need to sacrifice the fine library of programming I have created since I obtained this equipment from Shaw.

I'll wager I'm not the only one out there who is struggling with this particular issue. What I am asking for is to have two fully-functional expansion drives that maintain a steady connection to my PVRs. I do not want to sacrifice the pre-recorded programing. I want this problem to go away now and forever. I want peace on earth and rainbows and an end to hunger....

Outcomes