AnsweredAssumed Answered

Any maps of cable networks available?

Question asked by dzcreeper on Apr 18, 2014
Latest reply on Apr 18, 2014 by shaw-lance

I understand that Shaw has concerns about vandalism but I seriously doubt disclosing approximate locations of underground cables is going to cause serious vandalism. I live a few hundred feet from the city limits of Calgary (not an exaggeration) and have been using a smaller ISP called Platinum Communications/Community Networks since I moved here. The speeds and latency are terrible and the wireless point to point link has issues with very cold weather. I am at the point where even if the cables don't reach far enough I am not opposed to a short wireless point to point link or even digging the trench myself if the distance is only the length of my driveway. It would honestly be an investment of manual labor at this point, I use the internet connection for gaming and my work, both of which need reasonable speeds and normal latency. Over 60ms pings to Shaw servers in Calgary should not be the case during all hours of the night and day, and I know its not Shaw's fault that my ISP has terrible peering to Shaw.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3448360202.png

Outcomes