AnsweredAssumed Answered

Shaw and Dual IPv6 and IPv4

Question asked by mpetch on Jul 22, 2014
Latest reply on Dec 1, 2016 by kevinds

This occasionally gets discussed on the forum, but I decided to finally make a post about this subject. What precipitated it was that there appear to be people using Hurricane Electric as an IPv6 broker among other things.

I previously adopted IPv6 and IPv4 across my network. I favor IPv6 over IPv4 on my equipment. I use Hurricane Electric  as a tunnel broker to provide IPv6 connectivity. I also use an american company who provides native IPv6 for a VPS that I use for my company and other organizations.

This all works pretty well, and over time I have noticed more and more web sites that have IPv6 connectivity. In particular I use Ipvfoo plugin with chrome to show which sites are IPv6, IPv4 or a mixture. IPv6 continues to have slow adoption and will IMHO continue to do so. I think we'll likely see a lot of ISP's move to carrier grade NAT before looking at IPv6.

From previous conversations I believe Shaw only makes available native IPv6 support for some business. I'd like to see Shaw make IPv6 and IPv4 available over their Docsis modems to residential consumer (Comcast has begun migrating users to a dual stacked environment using Docsis modems).. I also think it shouldn't be an added cost - don't add extra costs to make IPv6 available since money shouldn't get in the way of adoption.

Shaw may not see that there is a demand for IPv6 (both from end user and the ISP level). But there is a catch-22 - ISPs are slow to make IPv6 because most content on the internet is IPv4 only. Because there is limited content users have little reason to want IPv6. I think ISPs need to start making options available to entice more adoption of IPv6, even though the benefits may not be seen for many years to come.

To summarize. I'd like to see Shaw make residential native IPv6 (as well as IPv4) a reality, and if Shaw needs users to test, I'd like to have my name and account added to the list of potential early adopters and testers.I am a software developer who does write IPv6 enabled code. I'm not a typical user, but that shouldn't invalidate the view that in the long term average Joe Blow may benefit from IPv6 even if it might be 30 years down the road.

Outcomes