AnsweredAssumed Answered

Slow upload speeds

Question asked by mackenzieh on Sep 2, 2014
Latest reply on Sep 2, 2014 by shaw-brayden

Hello, I have recently moved back up to Edmonton to go back to university and I wanted to try and resolve my slow upload speeds here that I have experienced last year and this year.  Previously we were on the High Speed 20 plan and would get ~0.40Mbps upload.  I saw a post on here saying that a free upgrade to Broadband 25 could help, so I contacted support and got the upgrade. 

Right now on Broadband 25 I get 26.67Mbps down, 0.35Mbps up and a 12ms ping to Shaw's speedtest server.

Here's our setup:

A coax line comes in from Shaw -> 3 way splitter -> another 3 way splitter -> wall plates throughout condo -> 2 way splitter -> Modem and HD PVR

Off of the first splitter one connection goes to the next splitter, one to a wall plate and one to the modem for home phone.  We have the SMC D3GN modem setup in bridged mode connected to an Asus RT-N66U router.  My pc connects to the router over wireless at full signal strength because they are only about 15 feet away from each other.

Troubleshooting I have tried with Shaw and on my own:

Tighten all coax connections

Tried different coax cables connecting to modem

Tried plugging modem directly into the line from shaw before all of the splitters

Tried plugging pc directly into Asus router with ethernet

Tried rebooting modem, router, and pc

I would like to get the 2.5Mbps upload speed because right now it takes a very long time to upload photos, videos and files to Onedrive or other sites like youtube.  I would like to be able to take advantage of my 1TB of storage without it taking months to upload!!  I also think the slow upload causes lag spikes when playing online games because whenever someone else on the network visits a website I get a small spike.

Thanks for your help,

Mackenzie

Attachments

Outcomes