AnsweredAssumed Answered

Help with home network and cisco DCP3825

Question asked by martyrae on Oct 4, 2014
Latest reply on Dec 16, 2014 by [shaw]jeff

hi

I have a home office (required for my job) so have a business plan for phone and internet through Shaw.

I'm at my wits end. I've tried two different computer big box stores and no one seems capable of providing advice. Moved into a home that is already wired. That is, I easily installed Shaw's combo wifi modem/router (Cisco DCP3825) in our basement which then connects to four different areas in our home. Being a family with kids we also have multiple wireless items such as iPods, iPads, tablets and laptops...mostly running simultaneously.

Our home is a two story with basement. (= 3 floors) As the wifi was not strong enough I bought a d-link-wireless-range-extender-dap-1320 and placed it on our middle of our 3 floors. Occasionally we have had issues with it working or providing wifi that's strong enough.

THEN, I had to add another computer in my office on the 3rd floor (both"wired") so I bought a D-Link 5-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch (DGS-1005G). And have my work laptop and desktop attached to it.

Now we have been getting error messages that we have conflicting ip addresses. As a result, things attached wirelessly end up with no access to internet.

Is there a better network set up than what I have? Have I done something wrong?

Thanks.

Martyrae

Outcomes