AnsweredAssumed Answered

Connection issues over the last 3 weeks

Question asked by maciejp on Oct 9, 2014
Latest reply on Oct 9, 2014 by shaw-lance

I had Shaw for 3 months now and everything’s been great until about 3 weeks ago. I started getting big lag spikes in the online game I was playing. I thought it was an issue with the game server at first. After about a week I tried a different online game and noticed same lag spikes so I did some more investigating.

I downloaded a free traffic monitor program and noticed that my download traffic just drops for 1-2 seconds every 1-3 minutes. I don’t get disconnected and the lights on my Cisco DPC3825 modem look good I just stop receiving. I monitored my traffic while downloading a large file and while streaming and I see the same dropouts (see attached picture). Because I don’t get disconnected, it doesn’t cause issues with downloading or streaming (buffering prevents skipping for this short traffic interruption) but it makes playing online games almost impossible. I get huge lag spikes every 1-3 minutes.

I tried everything I can think of including resetting the modem countless times, replacing the Ethernet cable between the modem and my PC, I even upgraded from high speed 10 to high speed 25  for a month (it was suggested by a support rep) to see if that would make a difference but it didn’t.

Has anyone seen this type of issue before and know what might be the problem?

Attachments

Outcomes