AnsweredAssumed Answered

Q: Any LAN subnet other than 192.168.x.x on Cisco DPC3825?

Question asked by calgaryben on Dec 14, 2014
Latest reply on Dec 14, 2014 by kevinds

Quick background: I've been using my customer-owned Motorola SB5120 forever with a number of routers, but since I've had some recent challenges with reliability issues, and I was eligible to get a free-rental on the Cisco DPC3825, I figured why not. Picked one up from the local Shaw Retail location this evening.

It wasn't made clear that my existing SB5120 would be immediately de-commissioned, but that's fine -- to be expected.  So I was frantically trying to get the DPC3825 set up so that everyone can start using the internet and network appliances/resources (I have servers, printers, fax machines, video cameras, etc.).  The hope was that I could do it as transparently as possible, but that wasn't going to be the path/destiny ahead of me.

I was surprised/frustrated with what appears to be a Shaw-imposed limitation, in that I cannot define a subnet other than 192.168.x.x (Under Setup -> LAN Setup, the 192.168 portion is greyed out). A quick search suggests that other service providers who use the same equipment do not have this limitation. Or am I overlooking something?

Everything on my network (paricularly the static IP addresses of various appliances, etc.) are set up for 10.0.x.x, and it'll be a pain to switch everything over to 192.168.x.x.  Also, I have some other stuff that runs on 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0 (without much flexibility), so my preference would be to maintain my home network on the 10.0.x.x subnet. Is this not possible?

Ben

Outcomes