AnsweredAssumed Answered

New home service installation -direct bury cable

Question asked by newhomequestion on Dec 16, 2014
Latest reply on Dec 16, 2014 by kevinds

We are in the process of constructing a new home.  We are acting as the general contractor ourselves.  We are having difficulty with the utility installation from Shaw.  Our electrician contacted Shaw and was that we could direct bury a shaw cable from our property line to our house and shaw would then connect from the property line to telephone pole.  We do not have underground service.  Shaw stated that they did not do this and would require a private contractor.

This is fine, however, our electrician stated that normally a conduit is run on our property and Shaw snakes the wire in.  I have yet to find an electrician willing to take on the Shaw installation and direct bury the cable.  The telephone line is less than helpful.

What I would like to know is what cable is required for direct bury (no conduit) and is the cable something that Shaw will provide.  We have no concrete sidewalks or roads that require crossing from the property line to the telephone pole.  Our intention is to leave a coil at the end of our property and Shaw can connect at its leisure.

At this point I am considering the alternative of using only Telus who was able to provide the steps required to complete our installation which will be to tag on to the line.

This new home is in an existing community and the length across our property is approximately 220 feet plus the distance from the property line to the pole which is approximately an additional 8m (25 feet).

Thank you.

Kevin

Outcomes