AnsweredAssumed Answered

McAfee continually hanging up my computer

Question asked by leslie on Oct 20, 2012
Latest reply on Oct 25, 2012 by leslie

I have been trying for more than 2 week now to get the new McAfee software working - probably about 20 hours of messing about.  I have the most basic Windows XP that has never been changed except for MS upgrades, so McAfee should have software that works for me.  This is what I have done.

Un-installed old software no problem.

Downloaded McAfee and installed three times.

Downloaded and installed the McERTfix Patch 687 three times.

Downloaded and ran McAfee Virtual Technician two times. It showed an out-of-data DAT file the first time.  It returns an error message now saying ""Cannot check your computer.  Cannot find McAfee products on your computer."

Downloaded and ran ShawSupport twice - it shows no problems.

Uninstalled Flash 11.4, reinstalled 11.5 and uninstalled 11.5 because still causing problems

Doubled Virtual Memory on my computer (both minimum and maximum) because customer service at McAffee says my memory is too small. (I have tons free).

Also disconnected Dropbox to try to preserve memory for the same reason.

Turned off Auto-Updates from McAffe and set to be asked BEFORE downloading.  The system refuses.  It downloads and then asks to install.  This because the process makes my computer unuseable.

Turn off Auto-Scan from McAfee for the same reason.

AND STILL MY COMPUTER REPEATEDLY SIMPLY GOES ON STRIKE.  IT SITS THERE WITHOUT WORKING FOR 3 TO 5 MINUTES BEFORE EXECUTING WHATEVER I AM DOING.  I CANNOT PREDICT WHAT WILL TRIGGER THIS.  IT CAN BE IN ANY SOFTWARE.  IT CAN BE CLICKING A LINK, OR SCROLLING A WEBPAGE, OR CLICKING THE 'START' BUTTON OR STARTING-UP THE OUTLOOK E-MAIL SOFTWARE, OR ENTERING DATA INTO A CELL IN EXCEL, ETC.

Outcomes