AnsweredAssumed Answered

Phishing using shaw.ca adress

Question asked by roman74 on Dec 27, 2014
Latest reply on Mar 26, 2015 by shaw-ken

Just a simple question.

We are getting quite a few phishing emails that originate from what looks like shaw.ca address.  Ex. lola4246@shaw.ca or mswamby@shaw.ca etc.

with text like

Dear Valid User,

Your Shaw.ca Account was recently signed in from a unknown Location, please Verify Here for verification to avoid account closure.

Sincerely,

Shaw.ca

I forward these emails to Internet abuse etc. But, I wonder, if those are correct emails, can't Shaw identify the user and check whether the address was stolen or the user is abusing the service?

None of the users that use a shaw.ca address for phishing is among my contacts hence if they can't be legit (i.e. my address was captured from their compromised address book and they are unaware of it).  Indeed, my email may have been harvested from compromised websites.  BUT, the email I receive seems to come from a legit users.  Was the latter compromised (i.e. address stolen and being used to send phishing attempts)?  If so, is/she informed of it?  How hard is it to see who in earth is lola4246@shaw.ca (and others) and if abused (as indicated by the text above) terminate or warn the user? 

P.S. Clearly I did not click any of those links in the text.  I have been at this for a long time and know how to be "streetwise".  What is puzzling to me is people using shaw emails for phishing.

Thanks

Outcomes