AnsweredAssumed Answered

My Remote Is Not Responding and It's Getting On My Nerves

Question asked by i_just_want_my_remote_to_work on Jan 10, 2015
Latest reply on Jan 10, 2015 by [shaw]jeff

My Shaw box in the living room was replaced a while ago with one of the newer HD ones, despite the fact we don't have an HDTV in the living room. I also have the previous model hooked up in my bedroom with the older remote that goes with it and it works completely fine. The newer one however, has started to not only completely ignore inputted commands, it'll also just act on its own, opening up menus and trying to PVR shows on channels we don't have with our non-existent PVR. Hell, I put the remote on the table without touching any buttons and it switched over to the Speed Network and tried to lock the channel.

To make matters worse, when it does work there seems to be a delay of sorts from when you press the button to when it responds which I don't understand. The older model in my room has 1:1 button press/response ratio while even before I started having problems with the new remote, it took about 1.5 seconds to change the channel or open the guide. Now, it just seems random when it does respond. Volume is literally the only thing that works on the remote as it should. Press the guide? 27 seconds, it opens. Scroll down a page? Looking at a minute and ten seconds, and that's if the remote didn't interpret your one press as three. Exiting said menu? Anywhere from between 8 seconds and 3 minutes! 3 minutes, just to exit the guide.

So my questions are:

Why is there a delay on the newer model of cable boxes and remotes?

If there isn't normally a delay between input commands, then how come it's happening with mine? Is it a problem with the box or the remote, or both? Neither?

Is there anything I can do to try and reset the remote without using the 'Quick Setup' because with the remote glitching up, all it manages to do instead of reset the remote is open the Guide and then not do anything until it disappears by itself.

And yes, I have changed the batteries, I have searched the FAQ, it has nothing on this sort of problem. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated and I'm sorry for the long-ass thread post but... I really want my remote to work properly again.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions and have a Happy New Year.

Outcomes