d.swit

Cisco/AS DPC3825 Wifi Protected Setup Vulnerability Issue

Discussion created by d.swit on Nov 30, 2012
Latest reply on Nov 30, 2012 by kevinds

First off it's important that everyone understand that Shaw is a consumer of industrial level products in the same sense as it's clients are consumers of consumer level electronic products, they do not manufacture the hardware they use to deliver services. They don't get to dictate what the hardware they want to buy is capable of or costs, they shop for the best feature/quality/price combination just like everyone else does. The equipment shaw procures to provide service to customers is subject to changes in standards, technology and government regulation in a far more dynamic way than consumer electronics is.

The reason I made the last statement is because the issue I'm posting about caught everyone by surprise earlier this year. Shaw is not in a position to simply throw a switch and eliminate the issue.

The most current document I can find at Cisco's website concerning the industry wide Wifi Protected Setup vulnerability is that they acknowledge the presence of the problem and are researching a solution to it.

The DPC3825 has protected setup enabled by default if I'm not mistaken.

My question to Shaw is: Has Cisco provided Shaw with updated firmware that either eliminates the issue or removes the feature? If so I'd appreciate a link to the Cisco announcement as I cannot find one.

If not I'd suggest configuring any Wifi product Shaw is currently issuing to have Wifi Protected Setup disabled by default, if not blocked in firmware or termination service configuration.

With the federal government announcing plans to bait p2p software users and with further legislation forthcoming that will force isp's to provide even more comprehensive packet inspection services, the average user is going to see an increased risk of being targeted for prosecution of heinous crimes they may not even have been aware their ip address being used for. The onus appears to be on the average user to prove that they aren't the victim of either ip spoofing or wifi security compromise.

The reason I say this is because the wifi exploit is well know and doesn't require significant technical expertise to take advantage of. People in densely populated areas are at greater risk of being targeted.

The information I'm seeing from U.S. sources indicates that copyright enforcement is turning into an industry and the copyright holding companies are actually selling the right to prosecute to third party legal firms that act essentially as collection agencies, with the typical ethics included. People are not just being threatened with prosecution but are being bullied to settle before legal action is taken. The typical threats being used involve "well if it wasn't you maybe we better ask everyone we can find you are connected to, including your employer". Groups are wondering if the next step is to drive around scanning for open or hackable wireless access, hack, download and prosecute. At an average return of $3500 a case, it's a cash cow.

If your modem is in bridged mode, your third party wireless router may also be vulnerable to this exploit as it is a widespread problem in the industry. You may want to google your wifi routers model name and include "wps vulnerability" in the search terms. ie dir-655 wps vulnerability

Some companies have provide firmware updates that either provide a lockout time period when repeated attempts are detected or simply remove the feature.

I didn't post this for sensational purposes, the fix is simple. Disable WPS. WPS is basically not ready for prime time. It's not the first tech that wasn't ready for public consumption.

Anyone that misses uucp knows what I mean.

Cheers

Outcomes