AnsweredAssumed Answered

DCX3200P2-M and Dolby Digital 5.1

Question asked by oscar on Dec 5, 2012
Latest reply on Jan 19, 2013 by oscar

If I were to purchase a HD box DCX3200P2-M and connected it to my A/V receiver with a S/PDIF cable, would I still be able to get Dolby Digital 5.1 audio output from the box if I were to use S-video for its video output?

The reason why I am asking is because, according to page 17 of Motorola's user guide, component video, HDMI, and IEEE-1394 allow you to view both HDTV and SDTV programming, whereas composite video and S-video connections allow you to view only SDTV programming.  However, on page 31 where it talks about using S-video and composite video cables, it says that the "digital optical audio (Optical S/PDIF) or digital coaxial audio (Coaxial S/PDIF) outputs may be used in place of stereo audio outputs (Composite L/R). These outputs offer a higher level of audio quality, including support for Dolby Digital audio."  My TV only has S-video and composite inputs.

How this relates to Shaw services are as follows:

1. Will I be able to watch HD channels and get DD5.1 audio if I use DCX3200P2-M's S-video output, provided that the programs are encoded with DD5.1 and that everything else works properly?  (Note: I don't care about video resolution.)
  2. Will I be able to get DD5.1 from Shaw On Demand titles with the same setup?

Outcomes