AnsweredAssumed Answered

PVR and Tv Tuner card for computer

Question asked by cfmarsh on Apr 19, 2015
Latest reply on Apr 29, 2015 by kevinds

Hi.

I have have an interesting situation and was hoping somebody might be able to provide an answer. My TV is looking like it needs replacing. I have Shaw cable with a Motorola 3400-M PVR. I also want to add a larger monitor to my computer. Rather than replace both items, is it possible to use a TV Tuner card with HDMI for the computer and watch TV on the larger screen as well as use the screen for my photography on the computer. I have read that the Motorola 3400 has the output from HDMI encrypted. If so, does the tuner on the TV set de-encrypt? Would the TV Tuner card for the computer be capable of de-encryption? I understand the need for encryption, but to do what I want (replace both monitors) seems like an extravagant waste of money when I could use just one monitor for all my needs. It would also be a space saver as I am a full-time RV'er and space is definitely at a premium.

Cost is another factor. I can get a monitor and tuner card for my computer at a much better price than buying a TV with the tuner and using it as the monitor for my system.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Chris

Outcomes