AnsweredAssumed Answered

YCbCr 4:4:4 over HDMI on HDDSR 600?

Question asked by rydawg on Aug 5, 2015
Latest reply on Aug 5, 2015 by shaw-shaun

I don't know if questions for Shaw Direct can be asked on this forum, but I have a serious issue with the HDMI port on my TV.

So my grandfather recently received a letter in the mail about how his old SD Star Choice receiver from around 2004 cannot receive emergency alerts from Shaw Direct. Because of this, they offered him a new Essential HD receiver for $50. Its definitely a good deal, and he was about to get the new receiver.

However, while I was using his TV to hook up a Sony Handycam via HDMI, the colours were messed up. Oddly enough, everything was either red or green, and there was no blue on the screen. I then hooked up my Sony Alpha camera to the same input, but it had the exact same issue.

Oddly enough, 2 years prior to this, I hooked up my Xbox 360 to this TV and the colours were fine. I then checked online for any help possible on why this was happening, and I found out that the TV manufacturer did not program the HDMI input to properly handle any colour space other than YCbCr 4:4:4, and neither of he cameras had any options to change the colour space. Luckily, I found a Sony Blu-Ray player that was not being used to test if this was the issue. Surely enough, when I selected YCbCr 4:4:4, the colours came out correctly, and when I selected YCbCr 4:2:2 or RGB, the colours came out wrong.

Now my main concern is, will the Essential HD receiver output at YCbCr 4:4:4 over HDMI? Because the HDDSR 600 only has HDMI for 1080i and 720p output, and there is no component video output. In fact, the new receiver also doesn't have S-Video output, which is something the old Star Choice receiver has and we are currently using to receive a video signal, so if HDMI does not work, the new HD receiver will be outputting worse video over composite than our old receiver did through S-Video.

Luckily, my grandfather hasn't ordered the equipment yet. If it turns out it will not work over HDMI, I will have to discuss with him a few alternative options, whether it be just staying with the old Star Choice receiver, get a new TV with the essential receiver, or upgrade to the Advanced HDPVR instead (which does not have the $50 offer)

Outcomes