AnsweredAssumed Answered

Shaw blocking 192.124.249.12 (sucuri.com firewall ip)

Question asked by delsey on Apr 11, 2016
Latest reply on Apr 25, 2016 by kevinds

Hi there. Today I could not access my website thecoachingtoolscompany.com (front end or admin screens). Investigation showed that the site was up - I could see traffic in google analytics, my monitoring service showed it as up and I could access it via my telus phone if I switched to mobile data. I could also get to the site via various proxy sites.

I had an online chat with someone at shaw who (like other posts here Please Stop Blocking 205.134.224.235 ) assured my that shaw do not block ip addresses, and sent me off down the rabbit hole of connecting directly to my modem just to prove I still had the problem, even though they admitted they couldn't see the site either.

However after also raising this with sucuri (who provide a website firewall service and own 192.124.249.12 as one of their firewall ips, Sucuri Security — Website Security, WAF, Website AntiVirus ) they told me that they had this problem with other Shaw users. Also a traceroute showed that the traffic was getting out to the Shaw routers, but no further.

I get very frustrated with Shaw's stock answer of connecting directly to the modem (which indecently upset my router and cost me a lot of time reboot and resetting) and attitude of 'not our problem' when they are in fact blocking the IP - there may be a good reason, but that doesn't help me unless Shaw admits they are blocking it.

The responses on the other threads state that Shaw only block IPs if there is a problem with them (phishing etc). I would like to know what the problem is with 192.124.249.12. as thecoachingtoolscompany.com is our main source of income, and I do not want it to be associated with malware or other online threats, and cannot afford to lose access to it. I would also be interested to know if Shaw has had any communication with sucuri, and what their response has been.

Below is a copy of the support message from sucuri, and the traceroute results are attached:

***********************************************************************************

from Sucuri:

Ah, yes - now I see. This is Shaw. Based on tickets today they seem to have killed the routing to firewall IP address of 192.124.249.12. We have a few Shaw customers will exactly the same issue.

Since we have no control over what Shaw does, we can't fix that. The best I can do is give you a new IP address that they are not blocking, but we would appreciate it if you can talk to Shaw and tell them to stop blocking that IP (192.124.249.12). As their customer, you are being affected; it doesn't look like any Shaw customers can reach your website at the moment (best guess based on information we have now).

I have added 192.124.249.10 to your plan. It will take about 10-20 minutes for this to start to take effect and I can't say for sure when it will complete because DNS propagation can take some time. I expect within an hour it will be fixed in Canada, which is where your issue is.

I hope that helps. Please let us know if you're still having issues after an hour or so.

- jon

Attachments

Outcomes