AnsweredAssumed Answered

Need to change IP address

Question asked by beefwhistle82 on May 26, 2016
Latest reply on May 26, 2016 by kevinds

For the past month or so I've been getting random disconnects or my connection has randomly stalled or slowed drastically. At first I thought the modem was crapping out but in more recent weeks its gotten worse and now ive been getting messages on google like "Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your ip" and it asks to enter a captcha.

Im guessing the IP has been compromised in some way, as ive already checked over the pcs connected and they all come back clean.

So I need to get my IP changed. Doing a quick search on these boards turns up old topics explaining two options:

1. disconnect the modem for 48 hours and there's a chance you'll get a new ip (not ideal and no guarantee)

2. put the modem into bridge mode. (I use the wifi part)

Neither ideal solutions. Can shaw support assign new ip's yet or are there any other solutions?

If I asked to have the modem put into bridge mode to get a new ip, could I then request they revert it back to normal a few hours later and still have a new ip or would the old one come back?

Would having the modem swapped for another one be a possibility that would work? This would be the quickest and easiest solution for me as I could pick one up asap.

The shaw modem I have is the Cisco DPC3825

Help is appreciated.

Outcomes