AnsweredAssumed Answered

Incredibly slow speeds.

Question asked by buzzard777 on Feb 7, 2013
Latest reply on Mar 7, 2013 by shaw-matt

shitterwebz.png

So I'd first like to state that I am using a shaw modem, and there are no bottlenecks or any sort of processes running on my network eating up the bandwidth. Yeah, I've looked up those generic troubleshooting steps, and quite frankly I've been troubleshooting networks and computer systems for as long as I can remember. No, I've pretty much isolated the cause: Shaw.

This only happens during peak hours, 3PM to ~12AM, which is pretty much the only time I'm on except for select circumstances. Point being, when can we see an improvement in my area (West Kootenays)? You guys have told us we'd be getting fiber optics around September last year and kept giving us the next month routine over and over again whenever we asked, and to this day I'm still waiting. The bandwidth in the area is so minuscule to the amount of people on the network. I can barely load youtube videos in 240p.

Oh yeah, and I'd also like to dedicate a special section of this post to complain about the ping. Forget even attempting to play online games. My connection spikes up and down so often it's practically useless. Not to mention the fact that these spikes can be so severe they disconnect you for up to 10 seconds at a time... not a big deal otherwise, but consistency is crucial for gaming and streaming.

So yeah, are we ever getting fiber optics? I'm ready at a moments notice to switch ISP's if I can find one that provides usable internet during the times I access it. I'm not even confident in what shaw says at this point.

Outcomes