AnsweredAssumed Answered

DCX3510-M : Extremely high volume levels during Shaw commercials

Question asked by mpetch on Jul 28, 2016
Latest reply on Jul 28, 2016 by shaw-brayden

I haven't posted in quite some time. When the DCX3510-M was released I was one of those guinea pig (err customers) who posted here about a litany of issues. Over the past year I really haven't had significant complaints that warrant contacting support on this forum.

I'm one of the Canadians who has been glued to CNN (HD channel 29 in SW Calgary) to watch the Republican and Democratic train wreck (err.. conventions) in real time. I have CNN HD on almost exclusively 24/7. When it isn't a convention I've been kept abreast of the latest nutjobs senselessly killing people.

The point - Having one of my TVs on 24/7 on the same channel is not overstating the situation. Since the start of the Republican National Convention I found myself experiencing an interesting technical glitch.

At least once a day (sometimes 2), when my A/V receiver volume is at a moderate level (not to loud, not too quiet) occasionally I'll be startled with sound that is maybe 5 times louder than it should be. Enough to cause my high end speakers to crackle and loud enough to raise the dead from Channel 47/AMC. This problem isn't random (it is semi random). CNN often uses picture in picture to run an advert without switching away from CNN coverage or the CNN breaking news ticker. What is happening is that this very loud volume ONLY happens during specific commercials - specifically ones that Shaw has overlaid on top of the feed. It doesn't happen on every Shaw commercial, but it is always a Shaw commercial. In the past 24 hours I had it happen with a Shaw Go Wifi commercial that was broadcast around July 28th at 2am MST and then at 3:52pm MST a Shaw Data Centres and Cloud solutions commercial. As soon as the commercial is complete the sound goes back to regular volume.

In the past 24 hours I decided as an experiment to run my DCX3510-M directly to my TV bypassing my A/V system. The issue is still there.

Some other observations. I haven't seen this problem when I'm not watching the channel live. Even more curious is that if I go back with the PVR button to a point before the commercial (10 seconds) and let it play from the buffer - the sound is normal. If I save the program with the loud commercial and then play it, the sound is normal.

From my perspective this issue only seems to occur when watching Live, and only during commercials that Shaw places overtop of the source feed. It is way too specific to be some random glitch with my equipment.

Outcomes