AnsweredAssumed Answered

Anyone using an Apple Airport Express with Internet 150?

Question asked by annp on Sep 13, 2016
Latest reply on Sep 16, 2016 by annp

Last week I upgraded to Shaw Internet 150.  I phoned Shaw to change the Hiltron modem to be in bridge mode so that I can use my existing Apple Airport Express (2nd generation) router for my WiFi network.

Everything works fine, but the maximum speed I can get through my WiFi is 57 Mbps and usually it's more like 45-50.

If I connect my laptop directly to the Shaw modem with an ethernet cable (after disconnecting the Apple router from the modem because the modem only supports one active port when in bridge mode), then I can get pretty close to 150 Mbps (wired).

I know this is not a problem with the Shaw connection, but I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this and has figured out the magic combination of settings for the Airport Express to allow it to use the full pipe?  Right now the Airport Express and the modem are sitting side by side.

I have googled and tried all kinds of configuration settings in Airport Utility, such as manually choosing the Radio options (if you hold down Ctrl on Windows or Option on Mac you actually get a long list in that drop down), separating the 2.5 and 5 GHz networks, manual versus automatic radio channel selection, etc. 

Outcomes