otegine

Hitron CGNM 2250 is so bad...

Discussion created by otegine on Oct 26, 2016
Latest reply on Oct 26, 2016 by shaw-harvey

I just got upgraded on tuesday(yesterday) and it's already living hell, the Cisco modem-router from before would consistently get me 15ms ping 1ms jitter even on wifi, but this Hitron crap never goes under 30ms ping and it even spikes every once in a while to 60-100ms ping with 40-60ms jitter.

Wired or not... this dumb box doesn't seem to want to work.  I also know that there's no real fix for this, so I decided to ask a better question... Why does shaw continue to use crap hardware?

At a glance... providing users with cheap hardware might work for people who only watches videos online, but the second you go into gaming this is simply crap.  Even on the Hitron's best moments it's only able to provide me with 31ms ping and 5ms jitter which is 2 frames of lag and it makes playing fighting games impossible and that's not even including the random 60-100ms ping/jitter spikes

Here's a suggestion, instead of focusing on high bandwidth, try focusing on lowering latency, and test the bloody products before making deals with the company(namely Hitron).

I've been with shaw since 2000-2001-ish and this is the first time ever that I've felt the urge to swap ISPs, maybe try some telus fiber.

Outcomes