brianarm

Intermittent WiFi Cisco DPC3825

Discussion created by brianarm on Jan 11, 2017
Latest reply on Jan 17, 2017 by sango

We had this modem installed with a 50MB download package a few years ago. Shaw doesn't even offer the package any more.

Over the past few months the Wifi comes and goes minute by minute. Generally, the Cat 5 connection is fine, it's just the WiFi that bounces all over the place. 

Yesterday, I visited the Shaw forums and researched potential problems. Unplugging and plugging the router back in sometimes helps, but it wasn't helping yesterday. So I shut down my MacBook Pro, iPhone, Apple TV, iMac, PC, and reset the router (with a paper clip on the back of the modem for 15 seconds), as per Shaw's instructions.

After the lights all lit up on the router, I started my iPhone, booted up my MacBook Pro, and Apple TV. I left the PC and iMac shut down. All seemed well for a while, then the WiFi started bouncing all over the place again.

Most of the time, a reboot (not reset) of the modem would revive the WiFi, but not lately. I have a sneaking suspicion that the WiFi aspect of the modem has given up the ghost.

January 8, 2017

9:48pm 0.52 Mbps (iPhone WiFi)

January 10, 2017

4:21pm 0.93 Mbps (iPhone WiFi)

4:37pm 5.76 Mbps (iPhone WiFi)

4:44pm 31.93 Mbps (iPhone WiFi)

4:56pm 0.51 Mbps (iPhone WiFi)

9:39pm 37.66 Mbps (iPhone WiFi)

January 11, 2017

8:13pm 23.79 Mbps (iPhone WiFi)

Can anybody think of anything else I can try to keep the WiFi running consistently on a daily basis?

I can understand having some issue at peak usage times, but in the past this has happened at varying times throughout the day. And when the WiFi download speed drops, I can walk into the room where the modem is located and it doesn't make a single bit of difference.

Phone: iPhone 6

iOS Version: 10.2

Carrier: Telus

Modem: Cisco DPC3825 (Stock Settings)

I'd like to resolve this because I'm really not a fan of paying for a service I'm unable to use a good part of the time.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Outcomes