techjunkie

Bluesky Review (updating on the fly)

Discussion created by techjunkie on Feb 6, 2017
Latest reply on Dec 22, 2017 by rickatk

Hello everyone.

I just had Bluesky installed a few hours ago. After playing with it, I thought I would let everyone know my thoughts (both good and bad). I will update this as I play with it more. If anyone has any specific questions, I will answer them if I can.

Hardware: If you already have the XG1 Gateway, the new Bluesky box will look familiar. The new portals are much smaller, however.

I would like to note, that if you currently have the CISCO modem instead of the Hitron, make sure the install tech CLEARLY notes that to the person doing the activation on the other end. They have to close your current account, and migrate your modem to the new account type being pioneered with Bluesky. If not, they will have one heck of a time getting the Cisco to provision afterwards (the tech spent over and hour JUST trying to get my internet back after the Bluesky install). He mentioned that it has been a headache doing Bluesky installs if you have a Cisco, but as long as the back end person doing the activation knows what you have BEFOREHAND, it should be painless. If not, they should swap you to a Hitron without issue.

Switching over to the new account type means that if you have any legacy hardware (older PVR, or Gateway system), they WILL NOT WORK ANY MORE. They are not compatible.

They also had to replace my phone modem with an updated one for the install (no charge).

As for the system, the guide is much better (AND MUCH FASTER!!!) than the Gateway guide, but the channels are now grouped by type (sports, etc), so every channel number is different than it was on the Gateway. This seemed like a pain at first, but voice search makes it SOOO much easier. I haven't found a way to hide the channels I don't get yet, so that I don't love. You can get around that by adding only the channels you get to Favourites, then having the guide only display Favourites, however.

Voice search: I love it. I did have connection issues about 20% of the time, but hopefully that will fix itself. You can search for shows, set PVR recordings, change channels, all by voice. Brilliant.

EDIT: I haven't had any connection issues since I rebooted the box the other day.

NOTE: For those of you with the Gateway system, you will be familiar with the option of being able to rewind your shows about 1/2hr on every channel your tuners are tuned to. With this system being IPTV, only the current channel can be rewound, and only as long as you are watching it. Change channels and then back, and you can no longer rewind. That's just a heads up.

Now, there is an alternative. I noticed that when I changed to a show that was already 1/2 over, it popped up a notification asking if I wanted to watch it from the beginning. I said "yes", and was seamlessly switched to the show on VOD, where it started from the beginning. I assume this also works if the show is on CraveTV (and you are subscribed).

If the show is not available anywhere else, you can't restart however. So news, sports, etc....you are out of luck.

Being IPTV, it starts streaming the show when you switch channels. There is about a ~1 second delay while it buffers, but it's short and doesn't bother me.

Apps: There are a few built in apps that allow you to check traffic, sports, stocks, and weather seamlessly while watching TV (you can bring up a side bar with sports scores and stats, for example). I also noted that if you are checking hockey scores and the game is currently on, you can seamlessly switch channels to it from the app side bar.

That's about it so far, I will update after I play with it some more.

Cheers;

Cory

EDIT 1: I have been playing with the voice system some more. It's smart.

Example 1: TV: I said "Blackhawks game", and it changed the channel to the Hawks game on Sportsnet.

Example 2: Movie quotes, etc. I said "Inconceivable" and it brought up Princess Bride on VoD. It's fast too, maybe 1 second to bring up the movie.

So far I am really liking this system.

Outcomes