wizzo

Older Motorola hardware and MoCA 2.0 Bonded adapters compatibility

Discussion created by wizzo on May 12, 2017
Latest reply on May 24, 2017 by kevinds

Hello everyone,

I'm looking at a situation where I would like to have ethernet switch in a family room a good distance away from the router location. Without having easy access to running ethernet cabling, I was interested in alternative solutions. Not interested in Powerline adapters or continuing to use WiFi, I came across MoCA 2.0 Bonded adapters. Specifically, the Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Network Adapter - model ECB6200. ECB6200 Product Page

This device seemed to provide what I'm looking for, including a coax passthru for television signal. Unfortunately, I've hit a wall with finding information on whether these devices will work with Shaw hardware and not interfere, so I'm hoping perhaps anyone else may have some knowledge or experience on the subject.

My home hardware is an Motorola SB5101 modem, two Motorola DCX3400 PVR units and one Pace Aspen DC758D w/ eSata HDD attachment. Between them all are two newer splitters - one 3-output at the entry of the house, and one 2-output in the basement that services the modem and one DCX3400. I'm not looking at anything too complex (like trying to access recordings from other PVR's in other rooms), just simply granting internet access to other media devices - using an unmanaged switch - while continuing to have Cable TV by utilizing the current setup. Another use would be using a small netbook (setup as an HTPC with Windows 10) as a Steam link encoding device and using Xbox One game streaming app. I've tried these applications over WiFi, but the bandwidth can't keep up. When it does work though, it's quite great!

I would also be installing a PoE Filter at the entry point of the house to make sure the signal wouldn't bleed out into the neighbourhood. Is anyone familiar with the ECB6200 kit, and does it work with the listed hardware without conflict? Thanks for any help or information provided!

Outcomes