AnsweredAssumed Answered

pixelization to random degrees

Question asked by esperoy on May 17, 2017
Latest reply on May 17, 2017 by shaw-tamara

Okay, so I've had this for years now... and once or twice a year I try again at finding the issue.

I've gone through things like the How to troubleshoot poor picture quality / pixelation and done testing there. I've also looked at some other threads such as Why is it so hard to find out what channels are in what packages? to see if there is anything helpful.

Now, I looked at the How Autumn sun transit can impact satellite and TV viewing posting and yes it could be a factor... except we've had it for years, all year round. Temperature could have an effect, but if the cable is in good condition then it shouldn't actually cause troubles.

Typically, the is minor occurrences that we've just come to ignore... I mean, we can guess the missing word due to chopped sound or what was blurred out by the pixelation.

However, this past episode of Doctor Who was the worse end of the spectrum... constant pixelation (bit nauseating) and sound getting chopped about once per second... for the whole episode - yes, we suffered through.

So, going through the check list from the picture quality thing.

Reset the Digital Box - I no longer bother with this as it never makes a difference.

Re-Seating the Connections - I also no longer bother since it also hasn't made a difference, and no one every jostles them.

Replacing the Coaxial -

- From Wall to PVR - I think I replaced it a few years ago... maybe I'll replace it again, just for the fun of it.

- From House to Network - in a wind storm a few years ago, a tree came down and tore the wire from our house. Shaw replaced the wire for a decent stretch, and it improved the signal for both TV and internet... didn't solve it all, but alleviated it so it was easier to ignore.

- Wrapping Around the House - I keep asking if I have to replace this or if Shaw will do it. I know this wire is bad as it is fairly old and was stapled to the house with 90 degree bends... well, more like kinks. Does it use the screw connectors like inside the house or does it require splicing?

Bypass Splitter - I removed it years ago... I didn't understand why we had a splitter when we weren't using it to actually split to anything. Only one device (TV) was being fed by it.

Cable Length - I'm pretty sure I can't go shorter... but I'll double check when replacing the interior.

Check Other TVs - Don't have any others to test with. I could rig up a test if I move the digital box to our internet connection... but I don't know if that will work.

We've had technicians come in and test the lines and such, with the tests being fine. They show up on better days... and I imagine the test is mostly just a ping test (not a stress test). I've asked some of the technicians about the cable running around our house, the typical response was that it should be fine since it is secured, so it couldn't be damaged by storms or people jostling it. I'm sorry, but a 90 degree kink in a coaxial is damaged - and it had at least 4 (hmm... around the corner, up door frame, across door, up to junction into the house... yeah, 4).

Okay, after all that ranting... I just want to know, do I need to replace the 'round the house' cable myself?

If so, I'll go out and pick one up and string it on myself... does it use the screw on connection like inside the house?

If it needs splicing, do I need to throw a switch or something before trying that myself?

The junction between the outside cable and the interior connection point should be fine, right?

I mean, if I'm splicing wires anyway then maybe I'll redo that as well.

Our internet has a bit of trouble as well, maybe I'll try to put a new one on the wall for that as well.

I'm tempted to put this post on hold and re-write it after getting some sleep... but where is the fun in that?

Outcomes