AnsweredAssumed Answered

Outage for WSP today fixed (not?)

Question asked by safaritech on Jun 14, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 14, 2017 by shaw-harvey

Since we all seem to be affected by poor internet the past 2 or 3 days, and since the outages maps have SHAW marked as extremely high internet issues across the entire country right now, can you explain why we do not seem to have internet in the Riverbend area (adjacent to WSP) at the moment, let alone other locations?

Yesterday and the day before, we still had internet but it was high latency with bandwidth measurements jumping all over the place. We have business internet for our servers, and right now they are totally inaccessible, let alone anyone in the home being able to get online.

I've done a multitude of testing the last few days and most times tests will fail before they complete. The ones that pass are generally okay one minute and horrible the next. Previous to this, and for many years prior, I had one of the best internet connections I'd ever seen in comparisons to many others I try to help troubleshoot. Now, my cell plan is a better option.

The way tests are running, it seems like you have a major routing issue somewhere up/downstream (possibly in CGY since they are complaining of blackouts, and pretty much every signal you pump out goes through there) or elsewhere. In any instance it needs to be addressed. As someone who consults for IT, I am addressing a number of calls and emails from clients all having similar issues across the country, so it's not any single user at the moment.

http://canadianoutages.com/status/shaw/map/ 

I'm not at the location where my own internet is affected, but between the notices from my location and my clients, and notices all over the outages boards, there is something afoot that you have not yet notified anyone about. I would recommend getting you T2 and T3 engineers investigating right away before this blows up later - which it will as more people head home. Don't wait for 4 or 5 hours of complaints like you usually do.

Outcomes