AnsweredAssumed Answered

SBG6782 VERY SPOTTY

Question asked by lakestud on Oct 30, 2017
Latest reply on Oct 31, 2017 by lakestud

Greetings All:

We have internet only from Shaw and they installed a SBG6782 modem for our original house in Sidney, B.C..  It gave us problems as it would completely drop the internet connection for 5 or 10 minutes, then be fine for 3 days, then drop 2 or 3 times in a day, etc.  When I say drop, I mean drop both the ethernet connected TV and anything wireless as well, at the same time.  I called and went through the standard unplug, reboot modem many, many times.  Shaw also said that there was a chance the modem was getting WIFI interference (but that would not explain the wired loss).  Then I moved to Parksville and the same problems keep happening.  And I've called and gone through the standard steps many times here as well.  Eventually, it always starts working again.  I have now attached a Velop router with 3 nodes (1 ethernet wired directly to the modem) and shut off the WIFI on the modem (to make it a simple bridge).  Still have same problems.  Works fine for extended periods of time and then sometimes drops the internet 3 or 4 times a day (both wired and WIFI).  Sorry for long story:  QUESTION:  Is it possible the SBG6782 is just faulty?  When I ask Shaw if I should bring it in for replacement, they say highly unlikely, but I'm wondering whether I should just return it for another or better model?  Is the SBG6782 a good modem for bridging or is there a conflict of some sort?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.  Dan 

Outcomes